Did you mean: 

How to install STM32CubeIDE on Ubuntu?

MQi.1
Senior II

I found links here:https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeide.html

but, it doesn't work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Weird, I've been able to download the STM32CubeIDE Generic Linux Installer without troubles. This is actually my preferred one since it is the only installation procedure allowing self-update application. Other installation modes will stay on a fixed version. There are pros and cons to this depending on your needs.

The installation guide is under Resources / User Manuals / UM2563.

Once zip downloaded and extracted you get a .sh script file.

Make it executable (chmod +x ***.sh) and launch it from a terminal.

For Ubuntu, either:

sudo ./st-stm32cubeide_1.4.0_7511_20200720_0928_amd64.deb_bundle​.sh

or

./st-stm32cubeide_1.4.0_7511_20200720_0928_amd64​.sh

The 2nd will ask you later to execute some install steps as sudo. This is required since STLink-Server, Udev rules for STLink/Jlink installation need to change some basic system settings.

HTH 🙂

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Julien D
ST Employee

Hi MQi.1,

What exactly won't work ?

Reading your post it could be many things: the installer download, the installation guide document download, the installer itself, the installed application, etc...

Please provide us with more details about, like the error message and/or the way that conducted to this error.

MQi.1
Senior II

When I selected "STM32CubeIDE Generic Linux Installer", I could downloaded nothing.

Then I downloaded "STM32CubeIDE Debian Linux Installer", I got a zip file, and I could extract it, then how to do next?

I tried to double click it, it just said"loading ...sh", is that OK, or I should input some codes like "sudo ..."?

MQi.1
Senior II

I got this one:

st-stm32cubeide_1.4.0_7511_20200720_0928_amd64.deb_bundle​.sh

How to do with it?

Is there a manual or tutorial for installing and running CubeIDE ON linux?

Weird, I've been able to download the STM32CubeIDE Generic Linux Installer without troubles. This is actually my preferred one since it is the only installation procedure allowing self-update application. Other installation modes will stay on a fixed version. There are pros and cons to this depending on your needs.

The installation guide is under Resources / User Manuals / UM2563.

Once zip downloaded and extracted you get a .sh script file.

Make it executable (chmod +x ***.sh) and launch it from a terminal.

For Ubuntu, either:

sudo ./st-stm32cubeide_1.4.0_7511_20200720_0928_amd64.deb_bundle​.sh

or

./st-stm32cubeide_1.4.0_7511_20200720_0928_amd64​.sh

The 2nd will ask you later to execute some install steps as sudo. This is required since STLink-Server, Udev rules for STLink/Jlink installation need to change some basic system settings.

HTH 🙂

MQi.1
Senior II

Did you installed "Generic Linux" or "Debian Linux Installer"?

Why here is "deb": sudo ./st-stm32cubeide_1.4.0_7511_20200720_0928_amd64.deb_bundle​.sh

MQi.1
Senior II

I downloaded and installed "Generic Linux", and got these:

0693W000003RR5sQAG.png

Quick answer is both.

"Debian Linux Installer" requires sudo on the command-line since calling the package manager (apt, dpkg) has to be done as admin.

STM32CubeIDE will be installed in /opt/st/, owned by root, and shared among all workstation users.

"Generic Linux" does not necessary requires sudo on the command-line. Don't use it to enable the self-update feature in STM32CubeIDE, this is how I usually install the tool.

STM32CubeIDE will be installed where you want, owned by you or root (sudo).

I do not see the .sh script, are you sure that you're not trying to execute the extracted folder from the zip archive.

Try cd en.st-stm32cubeide_1.4.0_7511_20200720_0928_amd64_sh first and do the chmod command on the .sh file.

MQi.1
Senior II

I could only download "STM32CubeIDE Generic Linux Installer", since when I downloaded "STM32CubeIDE Debian Linux Installer", it would also sent me a link, but when I clicked the link, it prompted:

0693W000003RTirQAG.png