cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get expected results working with external memory with I2C

fabocode
Associate II

Hello people from ST community,

I'm here today talking about I2C, starting to working on it and wanted to see if I could fix an issue telling you my experience with an external EERAM memory, the 47L16 EERAM from Microchip. My board is a Nucleo F411RE

I am currently able to talk to the device according to my code output and previous testing. But I am trying to doing a write a byte to the SRAM (0x22) and then read it back from the same memory address but and I am unable to get to work properly, I always get 0xFF as response in my UART output prints...

in HAL_I2C_Mem_Read() function, is the 5th parameter (pData, pointer to the data buffer) the data buffer that will hold the response from the slave devices (EERAM memory)? What should I do in order to do this process?

I think I am missing something important to get this properly working. Thank you so much in advance for any incoming ideas.

// EERAM Tasks 
      // write to the 0x10 register 
      uint8_t buf[15] = {0};               // buffer to print data at the end
      uint8_t pdata[1] = {0x22};	// write in the SRAM
      uint8_t output[1] = {0};		// store value read from SRAM
      const uint16_t ADDR_WRITE = 0xA0;	// device slave address to write
      const uint16_t ADDR_MEMORY = 0x10;	// memory address to write to

// write 0x22 to the SRAM
      ret = HAL_I2C_Mem_Write(&hi2c1, ADDR_WRITE, ADDR_MEMORY, 1, pdata, 1, HAL_MAX_DELAY);
      if(ret != HAL_OK) {
        DebugStringOut(&huart2, "Error Tx 1\r\n");
      }
      else {

// read 0x22 from SRAM
    	const uint16_t ADDR_READ = 0xA1;	// device slave address to read
        ret = HAL_I2C_Mem_Read(&hi2c1, ADDR_READ, ADDR_MEMORY, 1, output, 1, HAL_MAX_DELAY);
        if(ret != HAL_OK) {
        	DebugStringOut(&huart2, "Error Rx\r\n");
        }
        else {
        	sprintf((char*)buf, "rx->%d\r\n", output[0]);
        	DebugStringOut(&huart2, (char*)buf);
        }
      }
1 REPLY 1
TDK
Guru

/**
  * @brief  Write an amount of data in blocking mode to a specific memory address
  * @param  hi2c Pointer to a I2C_HandleTypeDef structure that contains
  *                the configuration information for the specified I2C.
  * @param  DevAddress Target device address: The device 7 bits address value
  *         in datasheet must be shifted to the left before calling the interface
  * @param  MemAddress Internal memory address
  * @param  MemAddSize Size of internal memory address
  * @param  pData Pointer to data buffer
  * @param  Size Amount of data to be sent
  * @param  Timeout Timeout duration
  * @retval HAL status
  */
HAL_StatusTypeDef HAL_I2C_Mem_Write(I2C_HandleTypeDef *hi2c, uint16_t DevAddress, uint16_t MemAddress, uint16_t MemAddSize, uint8_t *pData, uint16_t Size, uint32_t Timeout)
{

Your 4th parameter is incorrect. The device wants a 16 bit address. So send MemAddress=I2C_MEMADD_SIZE_16BIT.

You don't need to pass 0xA1 to write. The software will add the trailing bit for you. You can just pass 0x40.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".