cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLL input frequency DATASHEET versus CUBEMX

GChat.1
Associate

Hello,

I have found a difference between the PLL input frequency specification between the datasheet of the L4S5 :

And CUBEMX data :

Datasheet limit is at 16MHz, CUBEMX limit is at 8MHz.

Is there any errata sheet tht specify this difference?

Thank you for your answer,

Sincerely,

Guillaume

4 REPLIES 4
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @GChat.1​ ,

I will forward this issue internally to check, then will come back to you with update.

Best Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @GChat.1​ ,

After check, according to the datasheet :

"- 4 to 48 MHz high-speed external crystal or ceramic resonator (HSE), that can supply a PLL.

The HSE can also be configured in bypass mode for an external clock.

- 16 MHz high-speed internal RC oscillator (HSI16), trimmable by software, that can supply a PLL

"

The PLL input frequency can be used :

• HSE : MAX frequency is 48
  • HSI : Max Frequency is 16

and it's the case using CubeMX.

The Default value in the Clock config Panel - Input Frequency is 8MHz, but it can reach 48MHz (you need just to enable the RCC HSE).

Best Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

Certainly in prior designs the HSI was a pulse generator, so not 50/50 duty, and thus needed a flip-flop to divide by 2 and give a clean 50/50 clock source.

The PLL's VCO is very much a rapid pulse generator, again the reason the PLL clocks needing a DIV2, DIV4, etc on the output as the core needs a 50/50 clock as it uses both phases.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
GChat.1
Associate

Thank you for your feedback,

My question is more simple :

Why CUBEMX returns an error when I set a PLL input frequency greater than 8MHz as the input limit indicated in the datasheet page 165 is :

" fpll_in min : 2,0645 MHz ; fpll_in max : 16MHz"

Thank you for your new feedback,

Sincerely,

Guillaume