cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does STM32WB offer that other modules don't?

y.arikok
Associate II

I need to select a chip that offers me a BLE 5.0. What is the advantage of using STM32WB chips, rather than using other modules like Telit, Ebyte etc.

Okay STM32 has CubeMX and easy implementation just as said in application notes, workshops etc. but in forums, people are complaining about how to make a simple custom BLE service on later firmware packages. What is ST's strategy? While there are a lot of modules that have bunch of "beginner" application notes and simple USART protocol, why would I select STM32WB?

Just asking for company. No offense, big fan of ST.

Thanks.

Edit: The project that I'm working on is now divided into two ways: I will choose STM32WB or, standard STM32 chip + BLE module.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Christophe Arnal
ST Employee

​Hello,

I think the main complaint is coming from the fact we are still working to be able to build custom services properly from CubeMx. We are improving this on each release.

However, it is quite simple to add a custom service from any existing project manually. All BLE applications implement the same architecture. All services should be registered to the service controller in the Middleware. This is what is doing any services provided in the Midleware.

The BLE_DataThroughput project provides an exemple on how to add and register a custom service. The custom service is implemented in the file dts.c

As already mentionned above, the STM32WB has the same architecture than any STM32 devices so it is easy to port any of your existing application to the STM32WB.

Regarding the decision to go either to STM32WB or STM32 + BLE Module, most of the time, the PCB footprint, the cost and the power consumption are main criterias.

STM32WB being a SoC is well placed on all these criterias and that's the reason why it has been made.

Regards.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

At least the 32WB offers peripherals that are similar to other STM32, so one can use former experience.

Christophe Arnal
ST Employee

​Hello,

I think the main complaint is coming from the fact we are still working to be able to build custom services properly from CubeMx. We are improving this on each release.

However, it is quite simple to add a custom service from any existing project manually. All BLE applications implement the same architecture. All services should be registered to the service controller in the Middleware. This is what is doing any services provided in the Midleware.

The BLE_DataThroughput project provides an exemple on how to add and register a custom service. The custom service is implemented in the file dts.c

As already mentionned above, the STM32WB has the same architecture than any STM32 devices so it is easy to port any of your existing application to the STM32WB.

Regarding the decision to go either to STM32WB or STM32 + BLE Module, most of the time, the PCB footprint, the cost and the power consumption are main criterias.

STM32WB being a SoC is well placed on all these criterias and that's the reason why it has been made.

Regards.