cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update the boot chain (basic mode) for a "custom" device tree.

HMasu.1
Senior

Hi,

I want to update the boot chain (basic mode) for a "custom" device tree.

Following the wiki page below, I understood how to update the boot chain (trusted mode) for a "custom" device tree.

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/How_to_compile_the_device_tree_with_the_Developer_Package

On the other hand, I don't know​ how to update the boot chain (basic mode) for a "custom" device tree.

In basic mode, should I compile the device trees in the following steps?

==U-boot==

make stm32mp15_basic_defconfig

make DEVICE_TREE=<device tree> all

==TF-A==

make -f ../../sources/arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi/tf-a-stm32mp-2.0-r0/Makefile.sdk TFA_DEVICETREE=<device tree> TF_A_CONFIG=basic all

In this case, which files should I copy into the 'fsbl1', 'fsbl2' and 'ssbl' partition of the target​?

Best Regards.

H. Masuda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SMich.1
Senior

if it helps, i using GDB debugger that came with STM32CubeIDE to debug m4 firmware with linux and with IS_ENGINEERING_BOOT_MODE you can search for this option on st wiki . works grate .

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @HMasu.1​ 

Seems you made some confusion regarding what is "basic" boot.

Please refer to https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu-ecosystem-v1/wiki/Boot_chains_overview ( archived wiki aligned with V1 ecosystem delivery ) to clarify difference between so called "trusted" and "basic" boot chain.

Anyway "basic" boot chain was already not recommended in ecosystem V1 and is now deprecated/removed in ecosystem V2.

ST will not provide any further support for it.

We fully recommend to switch to Trusted boot chain.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @Community member​ 

Thank you for your answer.

I read the page you taught me, and I have understood that the basic boot chain is only provided to support the DDR Tuning Tool and the U-Boot developments.

On the other hand, ​I was explained by Real Time OS vendor that I need to use "basic" boot chain when I want to attach MDK-ARM(ULINK) debugger to Cortex-M4.

I want to use ​"basic" boot chain for above reason.

Does it mean that ​the basic boot chain is not supported/promoted to make products, but I can use only for debugging?

Or, is the explanation of ​Real Time OS vendor wrong?

Best Regards.

H. Masuda

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @HMasu.1​ 

Can you point me resource from your Real Time OS vendor about this topic.

I don't see obvious relation between M4 debugger attachment and Linux boot scheme.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
SMich.1
Senior

if it helps, i using GDB debugger that came with STM32CubeIDE to debug m4 firmware with linux and with IS_ENGINEERING_BOOT_MODE you can search for this option on st wiki . works grate .

Hi @Community member (ST Employee)​ 

Thank you for your answer.

​I was explained by e-mail from Real Time OS vendor that, by using "trusted" boot chain , ARM Trusted Firmware seems to block the ports required for JTAG access, so I need to use "basic" boot chain when I want to attach MDK-ARM(ULINK) debugger to Cortex-M4.

Is the explanation of ​Real Time OS vendor wrong?

In any case, I will use "trusted" boot chain because I have understood that ST recommend to switch to Trusted boot chain.

Best Regards.

H. Masuda

Hi @SMich.1​ 

Thank you for your valuable information.

I will search STM32CubeIDE GDB debugger option on ST Wiki.

Thank you.

H. Masuda