cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am using a VL53L0x for a distance measurement. During the measurements there is an error of 10cm for long range measurements. how could i overcome this?

ARani.1
Associate II

16 REPLIES 16
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Idea one. Carefully read the datasheet about accuracy. One can expect +/- about 3 percent. If the error is outside this range, then we look to calibration. There is a large section on Crosstalk, and how to overcome it. Could that be your issue? (You would under-range as the distances get longer.) There is no crosstalk without a coverglass. So to check this you can try it without a coverglass. Does that work better??

2) As the distances get longer the light spreads. The illumination circle diameter is about 1/2 the distance to the object. Could it be that at the longer distances the target does not fill the entire Field of view? If so, the light might be hitting a wall behind your target. All the photon travel times are averaged. And this multiple target effect might be throwing off your answer.

3) Can you increase the timing budget. 4x the time, will 2x the accuracy.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.
Thank you

Hi @ARani.1​ , please let us know if you solved your issue... thanks and regards

ARani.1
Associate II

Yes the results are consistent with +/- 3 percent error but not accurate.

ARani.1
Associate II

I will be using this sensor for measurement of water in the underground tank.

Do this effect the sensor operation and is it water resistant?

John E KVAM
ST Employee

ARani - The VL53L0X is NOT water resistant. In order to let the light out and back in the raw silicon has to be exposed. We do put a filter over the top, but the raw silicon is more exposed than other chips. If you are going to use it under water is has to be in a very well sealed enclosure.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.
ARani.1
Associate II

I have tried enclosing it in a small transparent plastic container but this was not helpful since container was considered as target surface by the sensor

ARani.1
Associate II

it will be mounted to TOP OF A LARGE WATER TANK of 200,000L capacity. Since the tank is in the exteriors (exposed to Sun light), there is Humidity inside the tank in the open space between water and the sensor.

What type of harm this can cause to the sensor?

John E KVAM
ST Employee

I don't think a little humidity will hurt the sensor any more than any other electronics. But it should be a simple matter to build a water-proof enclosure, would it not?

If life were perfect the sensor would sit pressed flat against the coverglass. You could put a rubber gasket around the sensor. The heat generated by the laser would be enough to keep any humidity from condensing. At least I would think so. (I know lots about our part - but not so much about humidity.)