cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request Evaluation Board/detailed reference design(circuit) for L6258EA

Awini.1
Associate

Hello,

I am interested in L6258EA motor driver for our new project. L6258EA will be interfaced to micro controller for controlling our electric expansion valve (stepped motor based). I could not find detailed evaluation circuit in ST website. I could see only L6470 based and other motor drivers.

Could you please share detailed evaluation reference circuit of L6258EA? It would be helpful to our new design

Regards,

Winiston.P

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @Awini.1​ welcome to ST Community.

You can find all relevant information in the L6258EA datasheet.

An example of typical application circuit is reported in Figure 5 at page 11, it shown how to connect the motor and the required external components.

Pay attention to the PWM current control loop tuning, the components dimensioning depends on your application requirements.

Refer to the dedicated section 3 (starting from page 16) for a detailed explanation.

Let me know if my answer was comprehensive.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @Awini.1​ welcome to ST Community.

You can find all relevant information in the L6258EA datasheet.

An example of typical application circuit is reported in Figure 5 at page 11, it shown how to connect the motor and the required external components.

Pay attention to the PWM current control loop tuning, the components dimensioning depends on your application requirements.

Refer to the dedicated section 3 (starting from page 16) for a detailed explanation.

Let me know if my answer was comprehensive.

Awini.1
Associate

Hi Cristiana,

Thanks for the reply. I got the technical information from the datasheet. It is preliminary level of design information I hope. But the full evaluation schematic like L6470 evaluation is not available in L6258.

If you have additional information, detailed tech reference and complete level of evaluation schematic of L6258, It would be helpful.

Does it require EMI suppressor(Inductor core) and transistor control LOGIC externally at the output side of L6258 to interface with Motor?

Regards,

Winiston.P

Hello @Awini.1​ ,

as abovementioned the typical application in the datasheet shows all the necessary external components.

Moreover some useful information are reported in section 4.1 and 4.3 for the layout development.

In details, you can find:

• the recommended value for charge pump circuitry (see section 2.5)
  • the capacitor connected to TRI_CAP pin to set the output switching frequency (see section 2.4)
  • the error amplifier RC network (refer to section 3 for the dimensioning)
  • the sense resistors to defines the maximum current in the motor (together to VREF, see section 2.1)

The logic inputs (I0, I1, I2 I3) can be driven with digital signal coming from microcontroller GPIOs to set the current level in the motor (see section 2.2) and with the PH pin you can set the current direction (see section 2.3).

The motor terminal can be directly connected to the device outputs (adding a sense resistor in series to each winding).

Other external components are optional (e.g. EMI filters) and strongly depends on your application.