cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the US government allowed to use ST chips?

RLyma.1
Associate II

I've been wondering this for a while. Are there any restrictions on the US government or its contractors with regards to using STM32 chips in their hardware? For instance, would there be restrictions against a government contractor developing a new sensor who wants to use an ST MCU in their product?

4 REPLIES 4

I'm not a lawyer..

Sort of thing you'd probably want your buying agent and lawyers to determine.

I'm sure country of origin can be an issue, where the ICs are fabbed, where they are encapsulated, tested, etc.

Traceability of parts might limit who and where any parts are sourced.

Going depend on the department, and the application.

Parts aren't generally designed for military, aerospace, or risk-to-life applications. These are "off label" type usage, where you inform and indemnify ST

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
TDK
Guru

Are you asking about ST-imposed restrictions or US government imposed restrictions?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

I didn't realize there could also be ST-imposed restrictions, so I guess I was asking specifically about the gov't. But I would be interested to know either way

TDK
Guru

The US government has all sorts of restrictions. That's definitely something you should bring up with your government contact to locate the appropriate guidance. It's going to be specific to what you're doing in particular and how/where your product will be used. There's not going to be a catch-all answer. clive1's response is probably the best you're going to get.

Not sure on ST's side. Some companies restrict their parts from being used for certain purposes, see page for Murata. I'm not aware of anything similar by ST.

https://www.murata.com/support/militaryrestriction

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".