cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In STM32F7508-DK board , If all flash of 64 KB is occupied, Can we use QSPI Flash ? If yes then what is exact procedure ? Is there any drawback ?

KrunalChauhan
Associate II

We are Planning to Use STM32F7508-DK board for our Application. As I go through Datasheet of it. It is mention that 64 KB for internal flash. But I am very sure that my application required more than 64 KB.

Question : Can we use QSPI Flash in case of exceed internal flash ? 

Question : If yes then what is exact procedure ?   Is there any drawback ?

I am new to STM32F7508-DK. Please guide me for better solution.

Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andreas Bolsch
Lead II

1) That's the idea: The internal flash is certainly too small for any useful application, hence you will want to extend it with external flash, either via QSPI for serial NOR flash or via FMC via parallel NOR flash.

2) See e.g. STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.16.0/Projects/STM32F7508-DISCO/Demonstrations/STemWin for usage and initialization.

The drawback is of course speed ... Random access to an external serial flash is slower than to an internal one. For purely sequential access, the penalty is much smaller. For time critical parts consider copying these parts to internal RAM and then execute it from RAM.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Andreas Bolsch
Lead II

1) That's the idea: The internal flash is certainly too small for any useful application, hence you will want to extend it with external flash, either via QSPI for serial NOR flash or via FMC via parallel NOR flash.

2) See e.g. STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.16.0/Projects/STM32F7508-DISCO/Demonstrations/STemWin for usage and initialization.

The drawback is of course speed ... Random access to an external serial flash is slower than to an internal one. For purely sequential access, the penalty is much smaller. For time critical parts consider copying these parts to internal RAM and then execute it from RAM.

KrunalChauhan
Associate II

Thanks Andreas Bolsch For quick reply.

Can you share link for "STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.16.0/Projects/STM32F7508-DISCO/Demonstrations/STemWin" if possible ?

The simplest way is probably to install STM32CubeMX package (you don't have to *USE* that if you don't like it) and then after lauching use "Install/Remove" button to install the STM32F7 package. Inside that package you will find the project's files mentioned above.

Another alternative: https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeF7/tree/master/Projects/STM32F7508-DISCO/Demonstrations