cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to implement LIDAR using multiple VL53L3CX.

WShin.1
Associate

I want to implement LIDAR using multiple VL53L3CX.

I have two questions about VL53L3CX.

first,

In the previous case of VL53L1X, LIDAR was implemented by setting an ROI.

As far as I know, VL53L3CX does not have the function to set ROI.

Indeed, is there no ROI setting function for VL53L3CX?

second,

I understand that VL53L3CX has excellent performance in detecting objects regardless of shape or size.

Am I correctly aware of the characteristics of VL53L3CX?

If so, is it possible to implement LIDAR using multiple VL53L3CX? 

1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The VL series of sensor is Lidar. But because the light goes out in a cone instead of a 'dot', it gives the distance to a surface rather than a point. The VL53L1 has a lens over the receive side, so we can restrict the Field of View. The VL53L3 does not have the lens, so it cannot tell from where the photons we reflected. And thus no ROI. Using the ROI is an excellent method for narrowing the FoV, but it does restrict the distance at which the sensor can range as it turns off the SPAD photon detectors.

All the sensors use 940nm light, and unless the target is black (or dark gray) it will reflect pretty consistently no matter what the color. But material does matter. Wool is an excellent reflector no matter what the color. Where soft cotton fleece a very challenging surface.

The sensors don't seem to interfere with each other much, and putting many in a system seems to work quite well.

See the video 2D-Lidar.

I use 9 - but they are VL53L1Xs, not the L3. And I use the ROI extensively.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.