cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For a faster data transmission, is it better to send it in parts or whole data at once?

y.arikok
Associate II

I'm currently receiving image data from TTL camera and sending it via Bluetooth. Baud rates for camera (VC0703) and Bluetooth module (HC-06) are 115200 and 230400, respectively. I'm defining camera rx buffer size and Bluetooth tx buffer size as 60000, since a camera frame of 640x480p is around 45-65kB. Only these two buffers consume around 128kB of MCU RAM.

The question is:

Since those baud rates above are the maximum values for a data transmission without data loss, how can I speed up this whole transmission process? Is it faster to read the image file by 1024 bytes and send it via Bluetooth by 1024 bytes or, read the entire address and send entire data?

More info:

DMA is used for both TX , interrupt is used for both RX.

MCU kit: STM32F407G-DISC1.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
TDK
Guru

You can't go faster than the UART rate allows. Breaking up the buffer into multiple chunks isn't going to get around that limitation. You could compress the data before sending, but that is a nontrivial exercise.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".