cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum range VL053L0

GPrit.1
Associate

I searched in the datasheet, but I could not find any information about the minimum possible measuring range. There are only values for the maximum range.

Is there any official information from ST available?

What are your experiences?

Thanks in advice for your assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

There is no minimum value given for the distance as it depends on your cover glass. There is also a limit called VL53L0X_CHECKENABLE_RANGE_IGNORE_THRESHOLD, where UM2039 mentiones on page 17:

Measurements with signal rates below this value are ignored. This ensures that false measurements are not made due to reflection from the housing.

Please also read the AN4907 carefully, which contains some guidelines for cover windows.

Does it answer you question?

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

There is no minimum value given for the distance as it depends on your cover glass. There is also a limit called VL53L0X_CHECKENABLE_RANGE_IGNORE_THRESHOLD, where UM2039 mentiones on page 17:

Measurements with signal rates below this value are ignored. This ensures that false measurements are not made due to reflection from the housing.

Please also read the AN4907 carefully, which contains some guidelines for cover windows.

Does it answer you question?

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Günther Pritz​ ,

can you please give some feedback from your side, or some updates about your findings?

Tks,

-Eleon

GPrit.1
Associate

Hi Eleon,

thank you for your assistance. I have a further question. Is there a documentation regarding the "DefaultTuningSettings" array available.

I have to measure the distance to water surface. Are there special settings available from your side?

BR,

Günther

Hello Günther,

here could be some hints for an application based on the VL53L0X sensor on Arduino platform (simple_distance.ino). You can check if they can be useful for your application.

Please note that, since a transparent, liquid surface has limited reflection coefficient in the IR spectrum (compared with a solid plane or a white liquid surface), the minimum possible measuring range could be affected.

-Eleon