cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPC582B-DIS Hardware Problem (USB)

RStel.1
Associate

Hello, we bought 3x SPC 582B-DIS Eval Boards. I tested the first one with one of the examples provided in the SPC5 Studio successfully ~2 months ago. Last week I tried to put it into operation again but in Windows it's not recognized ("unknown usb device (port reset failed)").

I thought that this might have been due to ESD issues or mechanical stress during storage, so I tried the second Eval Board which was working perfectly at the beginning. This time I was more careful (Operation and storage only in air-conditioned ESD lab).

Nevertheless, the Board worked less and less over time while testing several examples (always lost USB connection during operation - needed to reconnect USB). Now the board is in the same state (not being recognized by Windows), no matter how often I plug it in and out.

Especially for the second board I took care that no mechanical or electrical stress (not even electrical measurements) were applied.

In the device manager, it's displayed as "unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed code 43)"

I tested

• the USB voltage on the board, it's always at 5V, nothing unusual here
  • a different computer (different model) -> same behavior
  • Powered USB Hub/all USB Ports -> same behavior

Is this a known problem? I'm fearing that a PLS UDESTK Debugger will behave similar.

Thank you for any help!

I'm going to test my third (and last) board now...

2 REPLIES 2
RStel.1
Associate

Yes, the third board also stopped working after few hours.

Now I've got one question:

According to the board's schematics, the FTDI2232 is connected to 5V:

1. By default the jumper JP3 connects 5V to VDD_HV_IO_MAIN:0693W000003OsSxQAK.png
  2. VDD_HV IO_MAIN is connected to J_VIN0693W000003OsTMQA0.png
  3. J_VIN is connected to LVDD (R101 actually IS mounted on the board)0693W000003OsTgQAK.png
  4. LVDD is connected to the FTDI Chip 0693W000003OsTvQAK.png

According to the Data sheet of the FT2232 , its absolute maximum rating is ~3.6V.

Especially for VPhy it's written " Note that this cannot be connected directly to the USB supply. A +3.3V regulator must be used. "

Mounting the jumpers JP3 back to its initial position rises the voltage from 3.3V to 5V at TP100 (LVDD). Unfortunately I have no board left now to test whether this is the cause of the problem...

Erwan YVIN
ST Employee

Hello , I have forwarded this question to the PCB manager.

Best regards

Erwan