cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi all, Is it possible to communicate between a STM32F429VGT6 in USB Host mode with a FTDI FT230XS chip?

HPiel.1
Associate II

We have already a product based on STM32F429VGT6 which uses USB Host feature to read out data from plugged in USB-memory sticks. Our device have an USB A input so that normal USB-sticks can be inserted.

This works well.

Now there is an USB-stick which is going to transfer data via a FTDI FT230XS chip.

The STM32F429VGT6 needs to communicatie with this chip.

Should that be possible?

Is there already software which does that?

Best regards,

Hilco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Depends on the number of endpoints.

You could presumably write classes for whatever devices you want provided the interaction is not too complex, and you have adequate documentation for the devices in question.

Perhaps you could port a USB Host CDC?

STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.25.0\Projects\STM32469I-Discovery\Applications\USB_Host\CDC_Standalone

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Depends on the number of endpoints.

You could presumably write classes for whatever devices you want provided the interaction is not too complex, and you have adequate documentation for the devices in question.

Perhaps you could port a USB Host CDC?

STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.25.0\Projects\STM32469I-Discovery\Applications\USB_Host\CDC_Standalone

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

The FTDI chip is probably not class-compliant, they will probably use a proprietary protocol.

You may want to contact FTDI.

JW

TDK
Guru

> Now there is an USB-stick which is going to transfer data via a FTDI FT230XS chip.

FT230X is a USB to UART bridge. How is it communicating with the USB drive? I don't understand the system architecture you're describing.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hi TDK,

Too clearify my question, I have the following setup:

0693W000003C0xFQAS.png

So option 1 is that the hostprocessor STM32F429VGT6 reads the data from a normal memory stick.

This works already.

Option 2 is that there is already a hardware dongle made with a FT230XS-R chip.

This dongle also needs to communicate with the STM32F429VGT6.

Hope this clarifies my question.

HP

Thanks for the answer.

You're telling at least that it presumable be possible.

I also will contact FTDI.

HP

Thanks for the answer,

I will contact FTDI.

HP

Thanks, that clarifies it. Seems possible to me. You'd just need to write firmware to handle a CDC host in addition to the MSC host already there.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

I contacted FTDI.

They can provide a table with USB-transfers after signing a NDA.

But all the work needs to be done by myself, no support or sourcecode examples.

Check if a Linux driver exists for the FTDI chip.

-- pa