cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a STM8S103F3P6 STM8 ARM Minimum System Development Board and st link v3. How can i get power to the swim connector and what voltage is it. Thank you

JTann.1
Associate II

I don't think the user manual is good enough for someone starting with ST MCU's. I have no idea how use the different cables with which boards, etc. Could not find any howto's. I bought this to replace a ST Link v2.

7 REPLIES 7

The SWIM connector takes a voltage as an INPUT (1.65 V to 5.5 V)

If you need 5V pull it from the jumper location

0693W000003BtHuQAK.jpg

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
JTann.1
Associate II

ok used the usb port to power the board and got it to program with STVP

Thanks.

Still think the user manual could use an update with new users of ST MCU's in mind.

JTann.1
Associate II

Also, how come the st link v2 supplies target voltage and v3 takes an input? I can program this board with an ST Link v2 without any other connections but the St's usb port. Why does the programmer take vcc? Sorry, very new to ST MCU's only have experience with this stm8s and the blue pill.

prain
Senior III

Read this aapplication note:

AN2752

Getting started with STM8S and STM8AF microcontrollers

Every MCU works in a range of VCCs not just a single VCC. stlink measures the target VCC and sets some IO parameters. Also you can check the VCC on your PC using stlink.

JTann.1
Associate II

I am not an engineer. I buy these things to program to try and keep my mind sharp (I'm 77). I used to program in the days of Basic, Fortran IV and Gecos. Your AN is way deeper than I would want to go. I am one of those people that play with Arduino, the Blue Pill, and other dev boards. I have used the cheap St link V2 clone with several boards and thought the V3 would be compatible and just as easy to use. I was wrong. How many other hobbyists out there will agree with me? I think the MCU's are nice, but maybe some hobbyist level of instructions would increase sales? So far I think the money I spent on the ST Link Ve set was wasted. Since manuals and instructions are more down to my level, I will stick to AVR boards and PICs,, and maybe those ST MCU's that I can use V2 two on.

I would agree that the V3 is somewhat overkill for the STM8, most of the resources these days are ARM centric

I would expect V3 clones might dump a lot of the cost/complexity

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
JTann.1
Associate II

I agree. I mostly fool with these to test my ability to program them. I did, however take a cheap Wemos DI mini clone and installed it in my observatory, to monitor time and temp and humidity using mqtt. This is the only valid use of one of these development boards that I've come up with.