cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to provide Ultra Light Driver like VL53L1X for VL53L3CX ?

SLin.11
Associate II

we want to use VL53L3CX however its driver is too large for MCU, we like VL53L1X Ultra Light Driver idea, is it possible that ST can provide ULD for VL53L3CX ?

2 REPLIES 2
John E KVAM
ST Employee

Unfortunately not. The 'L3' does not process the histogram data on the sensor. We upload the raw data to your host, and create the answer from there. (Your host - even a small one - is much more capable than the tiny MCU inside the sensor.

And of course that takes more code space on your host.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.

Mr. Kvam,

In this very related part of the conversation (year after), I want to ask whether if the histogram averaging pursued in local processor (By the way, I am asking for VL53L1X and  especially for VL53L1).

I try to understand the new code collection and unfortunately, not very close it to solve it. If it allows us to see the individual histogram per an SPAD, can we process it through MCU without waiting the "timing budget"? I mean, one histogram received by MCU, then proceed next SPAD and so on...

And one another question: histogram seems very low in resolution (Histogram buffer length was 24 in the code); can we increase it? Or should we interpolate?

Warm regards,

B.H.