cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-CUBE-EEPROM software package, fills in zeros into emulated EEPROM on every reset.

MGrub.3
Associate II

I am using STM32L476, and I downloaded X-CUBE-EEPROM software package, included it into my project and it works fine. But I am noticing that after every reset it writes dummy word of all 0. CRC + Vaddress +Data... all 32 bits are zeros.

That write is issued from EE_Init() Step 8. Here is code snippet. 

/*********************************************************************/
  /* Step 8: Perform dummy write '0' to get rid of potential           */
  /*         instability of line value 0xFFFFFFFF consecutive to a     */
  /*         reset during write here                                   */
  /*         Only needed if recovery transfer did not occured          */
  /*********************************************************************/
  if (recoverytransfer == 0U)
  {
    status = VerifyPagesFullWriteVariable(0U, 0U);

/* The dummy write can be skipped in case pages are full
       because in this case potential instability can not happen */
    if ((status != EE_OK) && (status != EE_PAGE_FULL))
    {
      return EE_WRITE_ERROR;
    }
  }

Function VerifyPagesFullWriteVariable(0U, 0U); writes dummy 0’s.

Why is this done every reset? It slowly fills up my EEPROM with 0. It happens even if page is still in Active mode and there is a plenty of space to store new data in. There was no need for transfer.

This is how my EEPROM memory looks. I have some data with data zero values in first two locations, and next two locations are all zeros. And it keeps adding all zeros after every reset.

0693W000003BsTVQA0.png

5 REPLIES 5
prain
Senior III

which flash pages are you using? try to use the last two flash pages of your MCU​ and check again. Maybe you are writing to a flash page that already used for another purpose (for example firmware code).

MGrub.3
Associate II

I didn't change code from X-CUBE-EEPROM software package, so EEPROM starts at 0x08080000. The rest of my application is just basic. Not much of flash is taken by the application code which starts at 0x08000000.

B Zikhali
Associate III

I have noticed exactly the same issue. On each bootup and entire line of 0's is written to the page and slowly fills up the eEEPROM triggering useless switches.

SOfne.1
Associate III

I have noticed the same issue, too. Fortunately this behavior stops when the end of a flash page is reached (no page transfer is issued in this case).

Nevertheless this wears out the internal flash needlessly, because then a single data write of my application triggers a whole page transfer and the filling up with 0's starts again.

StéphaneM
ST Employee

Hello,

This write of zeros in the initialization sequence has been added in order to make the EEPROM emulation driver robust to asynchronous resets and power-downs.

During the validation of the EEPROM emulation software, we noticed that sometimes, if an external asynchronous event (reset or power-down) interrupted a Flash write operation, then this Flash line was no longer writable. Reading that Flash line gave various results including 0xFFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF which did not allow to differentiate a corrupted Flash line from an erased line by performing a simple read operation. The solution to this issue was to systematically write zeros to the first available Flash line after reset.

Note that from a theoretical standpoint, the RM0351 and RM0394 warns that “The contents of the Flash memory are not guaranteed if a device reset occurs during a Flash memory operation.�? If you can guarantee that no external event will interrupt a Flash write operation, then you can simply remove the Step 8 of EE_Init function. This the case for instance if only entering Standby mode (which controlled by the application software) generates a reset and no other external reset is possible in the application.

But , if in practice, you cannot guarantee that an external reset or power down will occur during a Flash write operation, it is better to keep Step 8 of EE_Init in order to make sure the content of the EEPROM remains always valid.

Best regards,

Stéphane