cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a question about the STM32H743...

damon kutten
Associate II

If this device is powered-down (i..e voltage is 0 on all rails), what impedance will be presented by the Port pins? If a pin from a powered-down STM32H743 is connected to a pin on another (fully powered) device, what current drain will occur?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
prain
Senior III

when VDD is zero you may damage protection diodes:

0693W000003Bg6AQAS.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
TDK
Guru

Definitely a situation you should avoid.

The protection diodes are going to try to sink as much current as possible. They're either going to sink enough to bring the voltage down to 0.3V, or the diode is going to blow out. Or possibly the device will get backpowered. Not a test I want to run.

Wrong, see below.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
prain
Senior III

when VDD is zero you may damage protection diodes:

0693W000003Bg6AQAS.png

damon kutten
Associate II

Thank you. That answers my question.

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

Look in the datasheet. FT pins are high impedance between 0 and 4 Volt .

TDK
Guru

Yeah, I was totally wrong on this. Apologies. Thanks for the correction @Uwe Bonnes.

I tested it on a board as well. PA0 sits happily at 3.3V while VDD=GND=0 with no ill effects. I didn't measure the drain, but I had it hooked up with a 10 kOhm resistor in series and it had a negligible voltage drop, so drain is much less than 1mA.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
damon kutten
Associate II

Thanks for the clarification and the additional work you both have done on this issue.

Do you have the location in the STM32H743 datasheet that indicates high impedance?

Uwe Bonnes
Principal II

go to st.com, search STM32H7 and follow the links

Zero current at any voltage (within given range) means high impedance.

JW

damon kutten
Associate II

This is question for TDK:

You did your test with a 10Kohm resistor and found a "negligible voltage drop".

Is it possible for you to repeat this test with a 100Kohm resistor, or a 1Mohm resistor?