cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the official way to open an example project from STM32Cube_FW packages with STM32cubeIDE?

Peter.Farkas [hun]
Associate II

I’ve been using these examples for a long time, but I’ve never been able to open them and rebuild them right after importing without an error or missing path of header and source files. For simple examples, this is not so much a problem, but for more complex ones (such as an Ethernet communication) it would be good if it worked without any problems. Now specifically, it would be good if it works with: STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.7.0 \ Projects \ NUCLEO-H743ZI \ Applications \ LwIP \ LwIP_HTTP_Server_Netconn_RTOS

(STM32CubeIDE version is 1.4.0)

The compiler can't even find the main files after importing. And the example project files are simply not opened by the IDE. Even if I tried to follow user guide instructions (STM32CubeH7GettingStarted.pdf included in the package).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The best way is to open those projects directly within the repository, as all references to libraries etc are relative to that folder structure.

My recommendation: make a copy of the selected project folder first (to e.g. "<project> ORI") before using that project, because this makes it easier to later compare changes you may have made.

I have just tested that again with the most recent CubeIDE version 140:

• start STM32CubeIDE
  • File > Import
  • Select General > Import ac6 System Workbench for STM32 Project
  • enter the full path to the given project in the line preceeded with Import source, in this case to LwIP_HTTP_Server_Netconn_RTOS
  • if there is more than one options given in the block below: select the one showing "Convert 'System Workbench..."
  • click Finish

You will get some information messages, like "This project requires a conversion..." and "...without problems..."

Don't forget to check parallel build, otherwise it might take a lot longer to compile: Project > Properties > C/C++ Build, tab Behavior --> set Enable parallel build

Build the project and after a while... baaam... Build Finished. 0 errors, 0 warnings

Does it answer your question?

Good luck

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The best way is to open those projects directly within the repository, as all references to libraries etc are relative to that folder structure.

My recommendation: make a copy of the selected project folder first (to e.g. "<project> ORI") before using that project, because this makes it easier to later compare changes you may have made.

I have just tested that again with the most recent CubeIDE version 140:

• start STM32CubeIDE
  • File > Import
  • Select General > Import ac6 System Workbench for STM32 Project
  • enter the full path to the given project in the line preceeded with Import source, in this case to LwIP_HTTP_Server_Netconn_RTOS
  • if there is more than one options given in the block below: select the one showing "Convert 'System Workbench..."
  • click Finish

You will get some information messages, like "This project requires a conversion..." and "...without problems..."

Don't forget to check parallel build, otherwise it might take a lot longer to compile: Project > Properties > C/C++ Build, tab Behavior --> set Enable parallel build

Build the project and after a while... baaam... Build Finished. 0 errors, 0 warnings

Does it answer your question?

Good luck

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Peter.Farkas [hun]
Associate II

Thank you Peter! It works! 🙂

Hi Peter @Peter BENSCH​  ,

Thanks for the description. Is this documented somewhere?

JW

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Hi, Jan,

you're welcome.

I have only listed my experiences that I have gained from training courses, solved problems, etc. However, there is already some documentation for CubeIDE, e.g. UM2609, which at section 2.9 (currently pg 89) descibes almost the same procedure for importing an AC6 (aka SW4STM32) project.

/Peter

Piranha
Chief II