cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAL Tick does not get incremented on second debug session after reset (FreeRTOS)

NGajic
Associate III

I'm working on project that is including ADC, timers and virtual UART. I'm working on STM32MP157C-DK2 board. So I started from example OpenAMP_FreeRTOS_echo from CubeMP1 software package v1.2.0. I'm using CubeIDE v1.4.0. When I reboot STM32MP1 and debug for the first time after reboot, and place breakpoint into HAL_TIM_PeriodElapsedCallback function in which HAL_IncTick is called, everything is fine and the program is stopping here. Problem is that when I debug for the second time (and software on M4 is stopped before 2nd debug) program is not stopping on breakpoint and the HAL tick is not getting incremented. The code is not being modified, it is the same as in examples. On boot I choose the device tree number 3 which is used for M4 examples. Question is why is this happening and do I need to reboot the board every time I want to debug?

Thanks in advance,

Nenad

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @NGajic​ , @JCant.1​ ,

This is final explanation for the issue :

The issue is caused by one interrupt from the previous execution

that remains pending in the NVIC.

The new execution erroneously enable the TIM2 interrupts 'before'

setting in the handler:

/* Initialize TIM2 */

htim2.Instance = TIM2;

The pending interrupt immediately triggers the execution of the

IRQ handler TIM2_IRQHandler(), which finds 'htim2.Instance' not

initialized yet and, in response to this spurious interrupt,

disables the just enabled TIM2 interrupts.

This issue is more evident by using CubeIDE; to restart a new run

of the example, CubeIDE first halts the target core, then quits

from the debugger and restarts the firmware. When the core is

halted, TIM2 is still running, thus feeds in NVIC the interrupt

that will deterministically hang the next execution.

Patch attached.

Thanks for reporting and help to fix this issue !

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @NGajic​ 

>> I'm using CubeIDE v1.4.0

This is a very last version release 2 days ago. Did you work with CubeIDE 1.3 version previously with or without same behavior ?

Thanks

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
NGajic
Associate III

Hi @Community member​ 

I downloaded CubeIDE v1.3 and it is the same situation. HAL Tick is incremented in 1st debug session and then in 2nd session it is not incremented. I clicked on pause to see if program is in some infinite loop, but that is not the case.

Nenad

Hi @NGajic

Thanks a lot for this trial. This help.

Starting to reproduce for analyze at my end.

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN
mleo
Senior II

Hi @NGajic​ ,

I confirm the issue

Dedicated team will informed and asked for correction.

I'll keep you informed.

Milan

cboon.1
Associate

hi

any update on this, or have some hot fix to resolve this problem

pls share.

thanks.

NGajic
Associate III

Hi @mleo​ ,

Is there any update on this problem, is there a solution? I'm curious because now I have to make a decision to go with or without FreeRTOS, and definitely FreeRTOS is the best thing for a job that I have to solve.

Nenad

Olivier GALLIEN
ST Employee

Hi @NGajic​ ,

Sorry for late reply. Actually @mleo left the company that's why we missed your september update.

If not mandatory to you to stick on ecocystem V1.2, could you give a try with the freshly released V2.1 and latest STM32CubeIDE1.5 ?

We will proceed also to some verification our side.

Thanks,

Olivier

Olivier GALLIEN

Hi @Community member​ ,

Thanks for the answer, I didn't try ecosystem 2.1 and latest IDE... I hope I will try this soon, because I'm busy right now. I will inform you if I get this done.

Thanks,

Nenad

NGajic
Associate III

Hi @Community member​ ,

I downloaded Starter package of ecosystem 2.1 and latest CubeIDE v1.5.0. and the latest CubeMP1 firmware package v1.3.0. Unfortunately project OpenAMP_FreeRTOS_echo is behaving same like before, HAL tick is not incremented on second debug session. Everybody who uses this project as is do not see the problem because it is doing everything it have to do (echoing virtual uart messages), but if you want to add some periferal that uses HAL tick it is not going to work. I think that maybe problem is only in debug mode, so I tried to run example using remoteproc on Linux using start and stop. For purpose to see if everything is working I added HAL_Delay in task that is toggling LED7 (HAL_Delay before toggling diode). If diode is toggling HAL_Tick is incremented, if not it isn't. So firmware worked for about 15 times, and then when I stopped and started firmware again diode wasn't toggling i.e. HAL tick increment stopped. Then I restarted board and tried again and this time it worked only first time and then on second run HAL tick increment stopped. So it is not working in run mode also.

Best regards,

Nenad