cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can VL6180 work standalone without external MCU?

MSAMB.1
Associate III

I would like to carry out a proximity detection to order an opening and I decided to use the VL6180 I would like to know if it can work in standalone? Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

No, it always requires some device controlling it via I2C.

Good luck

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
MSAMB.1
Associate III

Thank you, is there one or more ToF sensors running in standalone?

Myveck/

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

No, all of them require a controlling device, usually a microcontroller.

However, this shouldn't be a problem as very small controllers are available if you have very strict space constraints - is 1.86mmx2.14mm small enough?

/Peter

P.S. if you are interested: that would be e.g. a STM32G031Y8 in WLSCP18

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
MSAMB.1
Associate III

Ok, I saw in the VL53L1X datasheet that there was the possibility of operating autonomously, to perform autonomous measurements, I believed that the MCU integrated into the sensor had intelligence and could favor the stand-alone sensor mode. .. yes indeed I am very limited in terms of space, thank you for the proposal I will study it.

/Myveck

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The autonomous operating means some relief of the master controller after configuration by him.

The proposal for the controller was just the smallest which is currently in the portfolio of STM32/STM8. Of course there is more with e.g. larger pin pitch, but of course that increases the total package size. Feel free to ask if you have more requirements.

/Peter

Hi Peter, Thanks so much for your help however I'm about to write my user program with the P-NUCLEO VL6180 and I like to know if I just have to copy the main program in the API and modify it or if I have to redo a new program from scratch and inspire me, there is so much information in the docs that I sometimes get lost. (I'm not a pro of the app, I guess the question may seem basic for a soft engineer)

Thank you for your help

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The VL6180X like all ToF sensors is a powerful device requiring to study its documentation (datasheet, user manual) and maybe some appropriate application notes or design tips. All of them can be found at the product website, tab Resources.

There is also the software available to implement the API on a STM32 including some documentation how to use it. There you will also find examples ready to use on e.g. NUCLEO-F401RE, NUCLEO-L053R8 or NUCLEO-L476Rg : STSW-IMG003.

You already started with the right tool P-NUCLEO-6180X1, where an important document is showing how to start: UM1876. That is definitely a good starting point, later you can strip down the application to your requirements bringing some experience that can be used for more complex projects in the future.

Hope that helps?

Good luck!

/Peter

Do you have Stm32 sensor + MCU modules integrated in one system?

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea for a new product!

No, currently not.