cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New STM32MP157C-DK2 stops (hangs) very often.

Jack3
Senior II

I have a new STM32MP157C-DK2, it stops (hangs) very often.

Especially when I run a demo.

The 3D GPU demo runs no longer than 30 seconds.

The Video playback doesn't finish mostly and then the system crashes again.

Is this a known problem. Are there updates needed?

I have used several power sources and cables, but no luck.

Any ideas how to solve this, or do I need to have it replaced?

5 REPLIES 5
Christophe Guibout
ST Employee

Hi @Jack​ ,

This is not a known issue if you have a compliant power supply with provides at least 3A.

Did you checked the red led behavior (please have a look into the table at the very end of this wiki page) ?

BR,

Christophe

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
PatrickF
ST Employee

Hello,

that's not a normal behavior, whatever the SW release.

Is there any few red led flashs when your board start ? This might show a supply issue.

Is there some console message when crash occurs ?

To get the console, see https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Getting_started/STM32MP1_boards/STM32MP157x-DK2/Let%27s_start/Execute_basic_commands

On Windows, you should check the assigned COMx port using Device Manager. Then use any serial terminal (e.g. putty).

Settings are 115200,n,8,1

You should also try flashing latest SW, using a different SD-Card.

https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Getting_started/STM32MP1_boards/STM32MP157x-DK2/Let%27s_start/Populate_the_target_and_boot_the_image

if issue persist, you might be unlucky and the board has an HW issue (likely a bad solder joint). You should ask for a board replacement to your vendor.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Jack3
Senior II

Thanks a lot for your responses and suggestions. With an AliExpress USB OLED meter I only measured approx. 0.4 Amps. Today I received a more decent USB C power supply, which I'm using now, and it now seems to run stable, which confirms your ideas about it. I have to test it longer to know for sure, and will let the 3D GPU demo run for the night. I didn't notice flashing LED's, except the blue one, but I will check it out. I like it very much you provided information and links to get started.

I do have experience with HAL and STM32H7, but I'm new to MPU's and therefore wanted to learn more about it, using this platform. I'd like to learn more about the graphics capabilities of this platform, it's a passion for me, and always I'm looking to extend my knowledge. MCU's are a bit limited in terms of speed for graphics compared with this platform.

When I use STM32CubeProgrammer v2.5.0 on Windows 10, it updated the ST-Link firmware to version "V2J37M26 STM32 Debug+VCP", but it can't connect, giving error "Error: Cannot identify the device". Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, I need to read more. On the Linux laptop CubeProgrammer has been installed, no errors, but it just doesn't start. Do I really need Linux, or can I use Windows 10 as well?

Thanks for bearing with me.

In opposition to STM32 MCUs, which are using STLINK for programming their internal Flash, the STM32 MPUs make use of USB for programming external Flash using CubeProgrammer (due to tons of MBytes to transfer, ST Link would have been too slow).

STLINK is only used for debugging purpose (e.g. using CubeIDE) and exporting Virtual Comm Port (the serial console).

It is normal that you cannot connect using CubeProgrammer. You should use USB DFU.

See https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/Getting_started/STM32MP1_boards/STM32MP157x-DK2/Let's_start/Populate_the_target_and_boot_the_image#Populate_the_SDCard

For STM32MP157C-DK2, in addition to power supply, if you want to program the SD-Card, you should connect CN7/USB_OTG port (and set the switch to select 'USB boot').

Alternatively, SD-Card could be programmed on your Linux PC directly using dd command. https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/How_to_populate_the_SD_card_with_dd_command.

Linux Laptop (or Linux Virtual Machine) is required for development.

For flashing images on the target, you can make use of CubeProgrammer on either Linux/Windows/MacOS.

Thank you very much Patrick! This makes sense. I will first read more before asking now.

As for the intermittant hangs, they are soved! The 3D GPU demos run all night fine. I got a good USB C Power Supply which has a USB C outlet, so I could use the supplied USB C / USB C cable.

Before I had to use an AliExpress USB A / USB C cable because my USB power supply only had USB A outlets. I think the power supply could have been OK, but the cable probably was crap.

The supplied cable definitely would have a much better quality and a decent AWG for the power wires.