cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differential signal test via boundary scan test

Rsrma.1
Associate III

I want to test differential signal on STM32F407VG discovery board using boundary scan testing. I know that this soc supports boundary scan testing but is it possible to test/measure differential signal also via same way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Correct, the STM32F407 supports 1149.1 only, 1149.6 is not supported.

Until now none of the STM32 supports 1149.6 , as you can find in the BSDL files (yesterday I was double-checking all of them).

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Please don't be confused by the fact that there are JTAG pins like TMS or TCK, which are combined pins for JTAG debugging or SWD debugging only. So no, your impression is wrong, as none of the STM32 is supporting boundary scan.

Good luck!

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

In one of the earlier question related to boundary scan a community member answered that STM32F4 is supporting boundary scan.

Please go through below link to see the whole Q&A

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009XkiFfSAJ/does-the-stm32f4-support-11491-boundary-scan-test

I also believe that they can be used for boundary scan because they have BSDL file for STM32F4, if they don't support boundary scan then why there will be a BSDL file?

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Sorry, my answer before was wrong, as BSDL files are available at our website and can be found by searching for BSDL.

Back to your initial question: it depends on your usage of the BSDL file, as it could be used to read the digital status of the pins or write digital data to them. So it shouldn't be possible to measure differential data, as it is usually an analog value.

Regards

/Peter

Rsrma.1
Associate III

Yeah, In 1149.6 define that we can read differential and analog signal. So can you please tell me whether STM32F407VG support 1149.6 standard or not. Please check all the necessary documents😂. and also for every standard we need to change our debugger or same debugger we can use for every standard.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

OK, you got me. 😁

But this one is correct - like all STM32 so far the STM32F407 supports 1149.1. only, as you can find in its BSDL file:

use STD_1149_1_2001.all;

attribute COMPONENT_CONFORMANCE of CortexMx: entity is "STD_1149_1_2001";

Does it answer your question? 

Regards

/Peter

What does differential mean in this context? Two GPIO inputs with opposite polarity signals applied?

Which pins?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Rsrma.1
Associate III

Thanks peter, what I understood from your answer is that STM32F407 can't support 1149.6 standard. Please correct me if I'm wrong and suggest any controller which can support 1149.6 standard.

What does differential mean in this context? Two GPIO inputs with opposite polarity signals applied?

I'm talking about USB signals here.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Correct, the STM32F407 supports 1149.1 only, 1149.6 is not supported.

Until now none of the STM32 supports 1149.6 , as you can find in the BSDL files (yesterday I was double-checking all of them).

Regards

/Peter

Rsrma.1
Associate III

Thanks for the answer Peter