cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't run any samples for NUCLEO-L011K4 board

ZRatt.1
Associate II

0693W000003BI4jQAG.jpgI have a NUCLEO-L011K4 dev board, and unfortunately I can't get any of the sample programs to work. The board doesn't show up on the host machine. I'll walk you through the steps I tried on Windows, but I also on Mac and it didn't work there either:

1. I downloaded and installed the ST-LINK USB drivers: https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link009.html
  2. I downloaded and installed the Cube IDE: https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stm32cubeide.html
  3. I confirmed the JP1 jumper is ON
  4. I plugged the board into the laptop via USB. LD1 flashes red, LD2 is on solid red, and LD3 is flashing green
  5. If I open Device Manager, no device shows up. Device Manager appears the same whether the board is plugged in or not. (On Mac, I checked System Information and again see the same problem - no device shows up)
  6. If I try to ignore that problem and launch Cube IDE anyway, I am able to compile a sample application, but I am not able to run it on the device. When I go to Run > Debug As > STM32 Cortex-M C/C++ Application, I get an error: "No ST-LINK detected! Please connect ST-LINK and restart the debug session."

How can I work around this? I think the root issue is the OS isn't seeing the board. I tried two different brand new NUCLEO-L011K4 boards so I don't think it's an issue with the board hardware.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TDK
Guru

Reboot. Try a different board. Try a different cable. Try a different computer.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

Reboot. Try a different board. Try a different cable. Try a different computer.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
KnarfB
Principal III

The board LEDs behave as expected, the board seems to be powered up correctly. If you remove the jumper the green LED flash frquency will change (default firmware).

The board should show-up in three ways on a PC, e.g. in the device manager;

1. a new virtual COM port (serial port)
  2. a new "USB-Stick"/Disk (MBED microcontroller USB device)
  3. a ST-LINK Debug device

The "USB-Stick"/Disk (==USB mass storage class) driver is an OS driver which should function without installing any additional software or driver.

Using a different USB cable maybe a good idea. Plus re-installing the drivers.

S.Ma
Principal

Give details on which pc brand/model and which OS is being used. More clues may help...

ZRatt.1
Associate II

Thanks y'all! Swapping out the USB cable did the trick. The device not showing up as a USB device on multiple machines should have clued me in. Up and running now :rocket: