cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I program a VL53L3CX to detect more than one object at the same time?

AndreiS22
Associate

Hello!

I am an intern working on a project that should track the movement of multiple objects simultaneously. What I need is something compact and efficient. I came across your time of flight sensors and I was just fascinated by the way they work. I would like to use a VL53L3CX, which I am currently struggling to program.

I saw a few demos which use the VL53L1X ToF sensor. One was a LIDAR and one was a counter for the number of people which were in a room. I tried to do some further research on how these sensors work. I found out that VL53L3CX and VL32L1X both share a multiple object detection feature which is based on a histogram. Also, from what I discovered, both modules are capable of capturing 13 datapoints. I found an Arduino API for the VL53L1X, but it does not do multiple object detection. I found a Nucleo32 F401 API as well, but I did not find a way to use it with my Nucleo32 F303.

It would be amazing if I could understand how these sensors work and what I need to do to program them so that they could detect more than one object. Unfortunately, there is hardly any article on the Internet that deals in more detail with the software side of the sensors. I would be very grateful if you helped me understand how to program the VL53L3CX to do multi-object detection.

Thank you!

Kindest regards,

Andrei Șontea

1 REPLY 1
Julien NGUYEN
ST Employee

​Hi Andrei,

Please download the X-CUBE-53L3A2 from st.com. The example code gives you an idea of  the multi-objet detection. The result displayed on a serial terminal.

Thanks

Julien

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.