cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have APB1 and APB2 Timer clock frequencies more than the max that are mentioned in the datasheet?

Kbobb.1
Associate

I am using STM32F427XX, for which APB1 timer frequency is 84Mhz and APB2 is 168Mhz. Actually per datasheet, max clock frequencies are 45 and 90. My application is running correctly with the above frequencies. Will there be any problem with the MCU using that hign frequencies.0693W000001tSemQAE.png

3 REPLIES 3
TDK
Guru

Overclocking chips is possible, but you do so at your own risk. No guarantees from ST that things will work.

Since some F4 chips have a max frequency of 180 MHz and others 168 Mhz, there may be typos in documents where they’ve cut and pasted from one to the other. Generally I’d trust the datasheet unless it’s inconsistent with other sources. I dont see anything inconsistent here.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Maybe you are confused by the fact that in these STM32s the timers' internal clock is two times the respective APB clock frequency.

JW

Asking for trouble. Pretty sure one or more peripherals has a critical path that's not rated at the higher speed. Gears will grind, not physical damage, but things won't work properly at the margins.

The TIM will clock twice the APB rate in all settings except DIV1, where that's passed through

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..