cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LWOEI.1 asks: Hi Guys, a question here, i wonder if i install VL53l1X at shower room to detect falling , will it affected by steam or hot environment?

John E KVAM
ST Employee

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.
1 REPLY 1
John E KVAM
ST Employee

The VL53L1X is not particularly good at seeing water. 940nm light tends to get absorbed by the water, or it goes through the water, or it reflects of the surface For this reason the sensor can see through rain fairly well. Fog is also interesting. Mostly the photons penetrate the tiny droplets of water and you get what you want. However there is a limit to most things. There is an amount of steam in a bathroom that will cause the sensor not to 'see'. It would be worth the experiment to determine if this amount of steam was a likely happenstance.

Use the P-nucleo-53L1A1 evaluation kit and try it is all I can tell you.

• john

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.