cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to simulate RAM ECC function?

Nki h.1
Associate II

I am using STM32H745.

Among the functions of STM32H745, RAM ECC function is used.

The product that I develop should stop working when the RAM has an abnormality.

So, if something goes wrong with RAM, I want to check if the function I implemented is working normally.

I want to simulate an abnormality in RAM through the debugger and generate a RAMECC Interrupt. How can I do this? Or let me know if there are any documents that might help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andreas Bolsch
Lead II

As far as I know there is no documented way to do this explictily. However, after power-on or wake up from standby RAM contents should be indeterminate. Simply don't initalize the various RAM sections completely (e.g. modify the linker script so that a block at the end is not touched), and then do read accesses to these uninitialized areas. Chances are high you will hit some ECC errors.

But: The RAM should be unpowered for several minutes as the memory cells might keep their previous contents for some time even after power off.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Andreas Bolsch
Lead II

As far as I know there is no documented way to do this explictily. However, after power-on or wake up from standby RAM contents should be indeterminate. Simply don't initalize the various RAM sections completely (e.g. modify the linker script so that a block at the end is not touched), and then do read accesses to these uninitialized areas. Chances are high you will hit some ECC errors.

But: The RAM should be unpowered for several minutes as the memory cells might keep their previous contents for some time even after power off.

Nki h.1
Associate II

Thank you very much.

It was very helpful.