cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't use the ST-link in STM32CubeIDE even after updating the ST-link firmware

Love_Book
Associate II

I am trying to debug the STM32C8T6 with st-link and STM32CubeIDE, following errors happened, I need help to solve this problem,

"

STMicroelectronics ST-LINK GDB server. Version 5.5.0

Copyright (c) 2019, STMicroelectronics. All rights reserved.

Starting server with the following options:

Persistent Mode           : Disabled

Logging Level             : 1

Listen Port Number        : 61234

Status Refresh Delay      : 15s

Verbose Mode              : Disabled

SWD Debug                 : Enabled

InitWhile                 : Enabled

The detected ST-Link firmware version does not support the DAP read command

Waiting for debugger connection...

Debugger connected

The detected ST-Link firmware version does not support the DAP read command

-------------------------------------------------------------------

STM32CubeProgrammer v2.4.0                 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Error: ST-LINK V1 not supported

Error: ST-LINK V1 not supported

Error: ST-LINK v1 not supported.

Encountered Error when opening C:\ST\STM32CubeIDE_1.3.0\STM32CubeIDE\plugins\com.st.stm32cube.ide.mcu.externaltools.cubeprogrammer.win32_1.3.0.202002181050\tools\bin\STM32_Programmer_CLI.exe

Error in STM32CubeProgrammer

Debugger connection lost.

"

One thing to mention that I have updated the ST-link firmware to V1J13S4 STM8/STM32 debugger from older version by clicking the menu->help->st-link update

8 REPLIES 8
TDK
Guru

> Error: ST-LINK V1 not supported

ST-Link V1 is not supported by STM32CubeIDE or STM32CubeProgrammer.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
rromano001
Senior

Hi, you can buy original new STLink V3 mini at affordable prices.

Stlink V3 is quite expensive, carry a lot of functionality but I don't like too much casing and connectivity mapping.

A lot of cheap V2 clone are on market and I use on regular basis in parallel to originals ST board and stand alone unit.

Clone are cheap but miss some functionality from ST Brand, they always work on simple usage.

About old V1 you can see here:

V1 to V2 Link

Regards

yes, I have used IAR 5.4, it worked now, thanks

Thanks for your good suggestion, maybe I will buy V3 next step.

Piranha
Chief II

Additionally J-Link EDU Mini is another great inexpensive debug probe.

Hi Piranha, yes it is a good alternative but remember about licensing:

---> Licensing: J-Link EDU Mini may only be used for non-commercial educational purposes <---

Segger il a good independent debug tools, it support multi vendor part. No idea how perform compared to new Stlink V3

Georgy Moshkin
Senior II

Although debug is not supported, you still can use st-link v1 to perform flash and run WITHOUT debug in STM32CubeIDE:

1. install st-link utility
  2. in stm32cubeide open Project→ Properties→ C/C++ Build→ Settings→ tab "Tool Settings" → MCU Post build outputs check "Convert to Intel Hex file"
  3. in Run → Debug Configurations double-click on first line "C/C++ Application" to create new configuration. Under the tab "Main" set "C/C++ Application" to C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\STM32 ST-LINK Utility\ST-LINK Utility\ST-LINK_CLI.exe, under the tab "Arguments" set "Program arguments" to -c SWD -P ${project_loc}\${config_name:${project_name}}\${project_name}.hex -Rst, under the tab "Common" check "Display in favorites menu" – "Run"
  4. in Window → Preferences → General → Keys set Command "Run" Binding to Ctrl+F11

Now after writing some code you can perform build and run by pressing Ctrl+B and then Ctrl+F11. It is very convenient, because you do not need to open st-link utility manually, "flash and run" is performed by pressing Ctrl+F11 hotkey without leaving CubeIDE.

I just tried this method with latest version of STM32CubeIDE and ST-LINK Utility and it works very well.

Hi Georgy, good hack, but why settle for less when applying two simple wire you can convert?

STLink V2 enable debug too and is upgradeable to last version so it support all devices.

As I wrote, STLink V3 has some cheap part named mini, mod.

Appreciated the solution to still use as programmer.