cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to overclock the STM32H743 above 480MHz?

MSale.1
Senior

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You'd set the clock ratios and flash wait states appropriately.

Depends on the part, but I'd expect most to get north of 500 MHz

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Yes

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

is it wise?

@Community member​ 

How and what is the maximum clock I can reach?

I my opinion it is not overclocking if you would know how high you can get before you try..

You'd set the clock ratios and flash wait states appropriately.

Depends on the part, but I'd expect most to get north of 500 MHz

RMcCa
Senior II

For production or a one-off? The reason stm lists a maximum is because that's a guaranteed maximum. You might find that the ability to over-over drive the chip is not consistent. Note that 480Mhz is already considered overdriving and is only available if you are using the LDO​.

Pretty sure the NUCLEO-H743ZI2 is using the SMPS

Not clear where the critical paths are, likely the prefetch out of the cache. Might also be some on the peripheral sides which also limit top speed.

The 400 MHz parts had a much higher ceiling, but ST hasn't really discussed the design issues with the H7 which seemed to take several years to get properly resolved.

I am just getting started with a h745. They are truly amazing chips and really make me wonder what sort of magic is going on inside. I'm particularly impressed with the real-time capabilities of the d2 domain. The block interconnect, dmamux and dmas makes the chip somewhere inbetween a microcontroller and an fpga.​