cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you set Option Bytes within STM32CubeIDE?

AClif
Associate III

Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, I had a search and all I could find was an old discussion about TrueStudio not doing it and it didn't really go anywhere.

Simple question, is there a way to setup the option bytes (BOOT0,1, etc.) within STM32CubeIDE? I know it can be done in the CubeProgrammer and ST-Link, etc. but since you can program the chip from the IDE, it seems a sensible place to set the options.

If it affects the answer, I am using the STM32WB55 on my own board.

Thanks,

Andrew

7 REPLIES 7
AClif
Associate III

Hmmm, I could have sworn I posted this in the STM32CubeIDE community, but I must have messed up. Can it be moved over?

Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

According my knowledge only STM32CubeProgrammer is allowing you option bytes setup.

I agree would be nice to get it live within STM32CubeIDE ! @STM32Cube any plan about ?

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

​I am not aware of any way to set the option bytes with CubeIDE. As far as I know, only CubeProgrammer is meant for that.

I agree that as you can use CubeIDE to compile and debug, the possibility to set up the option bytes is not out of sense.

Will submit it to the development team  but do not expect something very soon... (if it is agreed).

Andreas Bolsch
Lead II

When using ST-Link via OpenOCD, it is possible to specify a user defined configuration script for OpenOCD. Although there is no menu driven approach for adding option byte programming, it shouldn't be very difficult to insert the commands for option byte programming there.

At least for F1, F2, F4, F7 and L4 (+) option byte programming functionality is already included in OpenOCD. Regarding WB I'm not sure, but the lastest L4(+) driver covers WB, too, so it should be possible as well. Even if not, it's fairly simple to do this in a script with simple memory write commands.

AClif
Associate III

Thanks all for the clear answers! I am ok using STM32CubeProgrammer for the time being, I was just curious whether I had missed something. Thinking about it, a feature request page or forum would be quite useful for CubeIDE (or all of the tools!) as I had thought of a couple of other things I thought would be useful. I can't remember them now though!

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

​Even though this request page does not exist, it should not stop you to make any proposal for  features you would see interesting to have in our development tools.

your user experience is key for us.

Remi QUINTIN
ST Employee

An idea zone is available for the community to propose additional features that can improve the user experience.

Just log your proposal there: https://community.st.com/s/ideazone