cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32MP1 flash duration

FOrtn.1
Associate

According to wiki article https://wiki.st.com/stm32mpu/wiki/STM32MP15_Discovery_kits_-_Starter_Package#Image_flashing it takes "several minutes" to flash partitions.

Flashing bitbake optenstlinux 2.0 (distribution package) or starter image to SDCard of my STM32MP157c-DK2 board takes several hours (~4h)! Is this normal?

2 REPLIES 2
Imen Ezzine
ST Employee

Hi FOrtn.1,

I can say that this is related to the image size and the used protocol.  For example for flashing an image of 1GB it is normal to take a good while. Also via USB protocol would be much faster than via UART.

So I would say this seems normal as long as you obtain a successful flashing.

Please don't hesitate to share more feedbacks in the future.

-Imen

Hi,

4 hours sound very long and not normal.

Please check you are not using USB 1.x (12Mbit/s) for whatever reason (e.g. very old USB hub, cable issue, DFU driver issue, etc...).

You could then try using a different SD-Card brand.

Starter kit v2.0.0 image programming on STM32MP157C-DK2 take about 8 minutes on my W10 Laptop using CubeProgrammer v2.5.0. This is about 1.5MB/s average.

Usually similar time or slightly faster when using CubeProgrammer on Linux (or Virtual Machine).

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.