cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32L5 SDMMC interface as memory card

ChrisP
Associate II

Moin,

is it possible to run the stm32L5 Series mcus (or other stm32s) not in SDMMC host mode, but be used like a normal SDcard for storage?

I looked over the documentation and only found host mode descriptions. I feel like I missed some details, so greatly appreciate pointers.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4

No, this generally requires IP to act as a state machine, or buffering/protocol engine.

You could be a SPI slave, and respond/interface that way, but the performance would be incredibly lackluster.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ChrisP
Associate II

Thanks!

I had the naive assumption it "should" be possible and hence kept looking.

Cheers

Generally specialized devices used as NAND controllers, or interfacing WiFi controller IC.

The mechanics could probably be plumbed via an FPGA/CPLD, but STM32 parts don't really provide for an external DMA interface (ie inbound/outbound interface to internal memories), but only an external memory interface into which you could map your own peripherals or memory buffers.

SPI would be a means to act like a faux SD Card, but generally the effort would be high and the rewards low, and why there's probably no pre-package solution

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

yes. totally agree. Once I realized sdmmc was running at 25MHz I started to have doubts. Without the corresponding (lacking) IP it will just be a mess. A small fpga will most likely be used in this project then.

I will try it with SPI for fun, but I doubt to get meaningful results in terms of speed and will push it to weekend project with an stm32.

Thanks again!