cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

in MCWB 5.4.3 i can't get a Connection with the EVALKIT-ROBOT-1.

ARose.1
Associate II

im very new with EVALKIT-ROBOT-1. I loaded the EVALKIT-ROBOT-1.stmx V5.4.3 File which was delivered with the Kit into the MCWB 5.4.3. Because in can’t find a Board named STEVAL-SPIN3201 i can’t use the MotorProfiler.

When i load the EVALKIT-ROBOT-1.stmx V5.4.3 into the MCWB 5.4.3. and open the Monitor i can’t Connect to the Device. I tried all Baudrates and used the Com45 who i got new, when my RS485-Adapter was connected on USB.

I tried that first with the original Firmware delivered on the EVALKIT-ROBOT-1. I generated a new *.ioc File with the settings STM32CubeMX 5.6.1 and the Toolchain ST STM32CubeIDE and selected the STM32 FW V1.11.0 Firmware-Package (Recommended). I selected the LL-Driver-Type.

I compiled the Project Error-Free and programmed the resulting EVALKIT-ROBOT-1.elf over the STMcubeProgrammer with StLink V3 to the EVALKIT. Verify was OK.

But with this firmware, there was also no Connection in MCWB-Monitor possible.

Questions: The Connetion runs over the RS485 Cable, not over the ST-Link ist hat Correct ?

Whas is going wrong?

10 REPLIES 10
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hi @ARose.1​ welcome to ST Community.

The EVALKIT-ROBOT-1 use a MODBUS communication protocol through RS-485​.

The MODBUS protocol is not the same of Motor Control Workbench.

You can find more details on communication protocol in the user manual UM2653

ARose.1
Associate II

Thank you for your answer. I recogniced that there are two different protocols. You mentioned the UM2653 manual. But in that manual ist only the MODBUS protocol explained.

I need to establish an Connection. So i read the UM2374 User Manual to get informations about the Protokol who the MCWB uses. But ididn' got information about what i had to do, to get the proper protokol on the Side of the EVALKIT. On page 20 there only was explained that i need to click the Connection Button to get an positive acknoledge. But im my case i only got error Messages. There must be somthing missin in your manual. Can you help me further please.

@ARose.1​ Maybe I did not make myself clear.

The MODBUS protocol through RS-485 is the only available with the EVALKIT-ROBOT-1.

The MCSDK use a full-duplex communication that is incompatible with half-duplex implementation of RS-485.

So you cannot use the MCWB to communicate with EVALKIT-ROBOT-1.

ARose.1
Associate II

OK, now i understand the problem, the MCWB requires a bidirectional Interface to the MC-Board.

The EVALKIT-ROBOT-1 hardware lack's a bidirectional Interface like USART or RS232.

But if i extend the hardware with a simple bidirectional UART to USB - Adapter and connect it

on the TP13 (RX) and TP14 (TX) pins and disable the TP15 (DE)-Signal, then i can establish a connection to the MCWB.

Is that correct?

Enrico Poli
ST Employee

Hi @ARose.1​ ,

Correct. In particular, the DE signal must be forced high in order to disable the receiver buffer of the STR485.

Thank you very much, for your confirmation.

On the Software-side i need some other Class-Modules instead of the ModBus-Interface.

Please recommend me some suitable Classes from other MC-Projects who i can take instead of ModBus.

For instance a RS232 driver, a command-Parser and the suitable interface for the MCWB Protokoll.

Many thanks.

Enrico Poli
ST Employee

I think you have 2 possibilities:

1. Using the MCSDK serial protocol. It is a binary based protocol and you can use the MCWB monitor to interface with the firmware. This is for sure the easiest option because you can implement it just enabling the UART interface into the MCWB project of the STSW-ROBOT-1 package.
  2. Using the terminal protocol from the 6STEP firmware examples like the STSW-SPIN3202 or the STSW-SPIN3204.

If you are looking for something else, I suggest to open a specific post in the STM32 forum. Maybe some other member can suggest others non motor -related projects fitting your needs.

Please remommend me a Software-Example, where the Frames Communication Protokol (FCP) and the USART Frame Communication Protokol (UFCP) Files are engaged to build a Bidirectional Interface to the MCWB. If neccessary with the ui_irq_handler.c too. Thank you very much.

Enrico Poli
ST Employee

I'm sorry @ARose.1​ , but your request is not clear to me.

The firmware generated through the MCWB, when the UART communication interface is enabled, already provide all the code for the communication with the MCWB monitor.