cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences between ST95HF and ST25R95

Jhern.1
Associate II

Hi,

I am assessing to use CR95HF, ST95HF or ST25R95 for a low power access control reader application and I have a question.

I would like to know if thre is any difference between thse 2 parts:

• ST95HF
  • ST25R95

Regards, Ramon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

you can use the STSW-95HF001  tag detection user interface or compile X-CUBE_NFC3 free of charge using STM32CubeIDE.

For your information, the X-CUBE_NFC3 can be ported on other MCU including non ST MCU (as long as a ST reader device is used: see the licence agreement). The porting on other MCU can be achieved through the macros in platfom.h (only little effort needed)

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi Ramon,

The CR95HF and ST95HF devices are now part of the ST25R reader family as ST25R95.

Differences:

Device SPI/Uart/Card Emulation

CR95HF Yes/Yes/no

ST95HF Yes/No/Yes

ST25R95 Yes/No/Yes

For new developments, it is recommended to use the ST25R95. CR95HF can still be ordered for existing developments or for developments based on UART communication.

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Jhern.1
Associate II

Hi,

Thanks for your kind answer.

Since the dev kit for both CR95HF and ST25R95 is the same board: X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1

I guess the parts are basically the same, except for the UART, right?

Which part of those will be assembled on hte dev kit?

A picture from a datasheet on June 2016 you can see the CR95HF.

Which part is assembled nowadays? CR95HF or ST25R95?

Regards, Ramon.

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi

since the CR95HF has joined the ST25R family, ST25R95 is the part numbering (actually ST25R95-VMD5T is the full part number). The marking on the IC is still CR95HF.

The previous CR95HF-VMD5T part numbering is still available to avoid change of BOM for existing applications.

The device mounted on the X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1 is marked as CR95HF. You can use it in a CR95HF profile or in a ST25R95 profile.

Rgds

BT

Jhern.1
Associate II

Hi Brian,

Thanks very much for your support.

In order to test the Tag detection I would like to use a Demo Sw and avoid coding.

Since the X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1 can not be directly controlled by a demo software such as STSW-95HF001

I am considering to acquire a M24LR-DISCOVERY evaluation kit so as to handle the CR95 transceiver with the demo software STSW-95HF001

In this way I can avoid coding for testing the TAG detection, right?

Do you think I can test the tag detection with this demo software (STSW-95HF001) and the M24LR kit?

Regards, Ramon.

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

ST provides the X-CUBE-NFC3 firmware package for the X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1 plugged on top of NUCLEO-L476RG, NUCLEOF401RE or NUCLEO-F103RB boards. The polling demo supports the tag detector (just press the user button of the nucleo board to enter the tag detector mode, called Wake up mode).

The X-CUBE-NFC3 firmware package includes binary file for NUCLEO-L476RG, NUCLEOF401RE or NUCLEO-F103RB: no need to code or compile, just drag and drop the bin file into the nucleo board.

I would recommend to use the X-CUBE-NFC3 and X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1 rather than STSW-95HF001. X-CUBE-NFC3 is based on the ST25 readers RFAL API (same application code can be reused on ST25R3911B or ST25R3916 readers).

Rgds

BT

Jhern.1
Associate II

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed feedback.

It seems easy without nucleo boards, but I am wondering I could play around with different configurations of the tag detector (T inactive / Tswing) etc within this environment. I am afraid there is no demo SW for this approach so these parameters can be tweaked, right?

Regards, Ramon.

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

the recommended development platform for the CR95HF is the X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1 + X-CUBE-NFC3 + Nucleo.

The CR95HF demo board included in the M24LR-DISCOVERY kit is not designed as a development board (its FW is designed to enable a PC to control the CR95HF over an USB communication). Moreover, the FW is not based on the common ST25 Reader RFAL API. Therefore, I would not recommend to use the CR95HF demo board from the M24LR-DISCOVERY kit.

Rgds

BT

Jhern.1
Associate II

Hi Brian,

Thanks again for your answer.

I am not intended to develope FW for STM32 MCUs. I will use other platform. I just want to test the tag detection with minimum developement effort. My goal is to check if the 50uA can be optimized while in tag detedtion mode.

As you suggest I can use the complied program inside  X-CUBE-NFC3 (e.g. STM32F401RE_NUCLEO_PollingTagDetect.bin). But I can not easily change tag detection parameters. I think I would have to change source code and complie within stm32 environment. Is it possible to compile free of license? Shouild I install STM32IDE?

As you can see in the attached picture the STSW-95HF001 (M24LR discovery kit) the tag detection tool allows to set up different parameters, run the calibration, etc... I think it make sense to try this sw. What do you think?

I think I would purchase both kits:

- M24LR disc. kit

- NUCLEO-L476RG

Regards, Ramon.

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

you can use the STSW-95HF001  tag detection user interface or compile X-CUBE_NFC3 free of charge using STM32CubeIDE.

For your information, the X-CUBE_NFC3 can be ported on other MCU including non ST MCU (as long as a ST reader device is used: see the licence agreement). The porting on other MCU can be achieved through the macros in platfom.h (only little effort needed)

Rgds

BT