cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using firmware examples

Luca1
Senior

Hi to all!

There is a way for using the firmware examples without broke nothing?

I want to use and modify some examples, but it's not seem an easy task..

If I use "import existing project into workspace", if i use copy project into workspace, the imported project don't compile (some file miss).. If I don't use the copy option, the example run, but i can't modify it, also some files aren't in the project folders.

So how i can use the examples firmware for having a working template for custom use?

9 REPLIES 9

Use better tools where you can simply dupe the directory the project is in?

#!Eclipse

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

@clive1 Do you know a tool able to do better? I've some interest to ...

According my experience MDK-ARM and EWARM are suffering same ...

Luca1
Senior

Hi clive1, many thanks for the reply!

Can you be more precise please? What tool do you refer?

After reading your answer, I have used the "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers" Version: 2020-03 (4.15.0), I did the same steps as I described above, but eclipse copy only the folders, I don't see any .c or .h files in the imported project.

PS

Now I have noticed the ! in front of Eclipse...

Piranha
Chief II

From a free IDEs on Windows I can suggest EmBitz, but that is useful only for actually developing software, not clicking and sticking together non-working bloatware.

Luca1
Senior

I found a (dirty) way to do this job... Copy all files manually.. 🙂

Cartu38 OpenDev
Lead II

Fresh (releases done on wk31.1) STM32CubeIDE 1.4.0 & STM32CubeMX 6.0.0 are promoting some example import features !

Can't find anything on import improvement in the 1.4 release notes

https://www.st.com/resource/en/release_note/dm00603738-stm32cubeide-release-v140-stmicroelectronics.pdf

IMHO they just need to explain how the import works in the documentation.

The example projects in Cube packages refer to common library and BSP files in the same package.

These references bind the projects to the Cube package tree structure and they won't work if copied out of the tree (if you select "copy into workspace" when importing).

When you create a new project, CubeIDE offers to either copy or link the library files, but in the example projects this choice has been already made.

If you carefully copy the example at the same level in the tree, chances are it will work, as all relative references are preserved.

On Windows, make sure that neither the project path, Eclipse workspace and Cube package paths have spaces and funny characters.

-- pa

Just get a look at target finder extra tab !

0693W000003BgdoQAC.jpg

Also on Windows make sure that the directory path where the project is installed is not too long.