cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are "NFC TAG type2 - NTAG213" compatible with X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1? Is this dev shield able tomanage NTAG213 password?

SDel.19
Associate II

Hi, I am using X-NUCLEO-NFC03A1 and NXP NTAG213 Mifare Ultralight. I chose this kind of TAG because they can be protected by password. I downloaded all files like user manual, etc... about NFC03A1 but I couldn't find any informtion about password writing and reading a tag using a password so I suspect that maybe this shield is not totally compatible with NTAG213....

Also, I used the bin file "STM32F401RE_NUCLEO_PollingTagDetectNdef" but alwasy I get this response from serial:

1. Tap a tag to read its content

ISO14443A/NFC-A card found. UID: 044153A26F5E81

NDEF NOT DETECTED (ndefPollerNdefDetect returns 5)

Operation completed

Tag can be removed from the field

but my tag should support NDEF.

p.s. I am using a NUCLEO-F401RE board

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

this is more a question for the tag manufacturer than for the reader manufacturer. I believe the password is valid until the field is removed andpassword verification t should be done before the read/write accesses. Feel free to contact the tag manufacturer or check inside the datasheet of the tag.

your rfalT2TPollerPWD_AUTH looks in good shape.You need a local buffer large enough for command response (PACK) and pass it in the rfalTransceiveBlockingTxRx as the rxBuff. I would suggest

uint8_t res[PACK_SIZE];

and

ret = rfalTransceiveBlockingTxRx( (uint8_t*)&req, sizeof(rfalT2TAuthReq), &res, sizeof(res), &rxLen, RFAL_TXRX_FLAGS_DEFAULT, RFAL_FDT_POLL_PWD_AUTH_MAX );

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

X-CUBE-NFC3 2.1.0 supports NFC Type 2 tag.

Password protection is not an NFC Type 2 feature but a proprietary feature. See table 22 in the datasheet of this tag: PWD_AUTH (1Bh) is neither an ISO/IEC 14443 command nor a NFC Forum command. This proprietary command is not implemented in X-CUBE-NFC3 2.1.0. Anyway if you want to use it, you just need to format the PWD_AUTH message into a buffer and send it through rfalTransceiveBlockingTxRx(). See rfal_t2t.c for some example of rfalTransceiveBlockingTxRx usage for type 2 tags.

Regarding the NDEF detection issue: this tag has a default Lock Control TLV in block 4 (see Table 5 in the tag datasheet). X-CUBE-NFC3 2.1.0 does not implement the support of DynLock_Area and therefore, returns an error during NDEF detection procedure when encountering a Lock Control TLV .

This can be solved in different ways:

• solution #1 remove the Lock Control TLV in block 4 of the tag (just write 03 00 FE 00 in block 4, you can use for example an Android phone with an NFC app)
  • solution #2: comment the line 363 in ndef_t2t.c (i.e. do not return ERR_REQUEST when a Lock Control TLV is found)

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
SDel.19
Associate II

Hi,

thanks to your answer I solved the NDEF detection issue using an Android APP.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to write some data in a password protected NTAG213. I can set the password and set AUTH0 to 0x04 using the Android APP that is able to set automaticaly AUTH0 = 4 after a password setting.

I have also created a function (under your guidelines) in "rfal_t2t.c" using function  "rfalTransceiveBlockingTxRx()". Here the code:

ReturnCode rfalT2TPollerPWD_AUTH(const uint8_t* PWD )
{
	platformLog("_______INIZIO POLLER PWD_AUTH______\r\n");
   ReturnCode         ret;
   rfalT2TAuthReq    req;
   uint8_t            res;
   uint16_t           rxLen;

req.code = (uint8_t)RFAL_T2T_CMD_PWD_AUTH;
   ST_MEMCPY(req.data, PWD, RFAL_T2T_WRITE_DATA_LEN);

/* Transceive WRITE Command */
   ret = rfalTransceiveBlockingTxRx( (uint8_t*)&req, sizeof(rfalT2TAuthReq), &res, sizeof(uint8_t), &rxLen, RFAL_TXRX_FLAGS_DEFAULT, RFAL_FDT_POLL_PWD_AUTH_MAX );

//TODO    /* Check for a valid PACK */

ret = ERR_NONE;  //TEMPORARY.  remove it after validation PACK function

platformLog("_______FINE POLLER PWD_AUTH______\r\n");
   return ret;
}

I believe I should set the rfalTransceiveBlockingTxRx() like the following

ret = rfalTransceiveBlockingTxRx( (uint8_t*)&req, sizeof(rfalT2TReadReq), rxBuf, rxBufLen, rcvLen, RFAL_TXRX_FLAGS_DEFAULT, RFAL_FDT_POLL_READ_MAX );

in order to check the PACK consequently and maybe you can help me for that....

Anyway, my bigger dubt actually is: in order to use the password protection, and PWD_AUTH command of course, to read and write the TAG, should I use NDEF formatted TAG also for the authentication message?

How should I treat the authentication message? Should I append write or read record after it? Or maybe the authentication remains valid until the TAG is removed from the reader field so that I can write and read in messages separated from the authentication one?

BR

Simone

SDel.19
Associate II

maybe I should have post an answer instead of a reply...

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

this is more a question for the tag manufacturer than for the reader manufacturer. I believe the password is valid until the field is removed andpassword verification t should be done before the read/write accesses. Feel free to contact the tag manufacturer or check inside the datasheet of the tag.

your rfalT2TPollerPWD_AUTH looks in good shape.You need a local buffer large enough for command response (PACK) and pass it in the rfalTransceiveBlockingTxRx as the rxBuff. I would suggest

uint8_t res[PACK_SIZE];

and

ret = rfalTransceiveBlockingTxRx( (uint8_t*)&req, sizeof(rfalT2TAuthReq), &res, sizeof(res), &rxLen, RFAL_TXRX_FLAGS_DEFAULT, RFAL_FDT_POLL_PWD_AUTH_MAX );

Rgds

BT