cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the "STM32-based control board"?

Mark81
Associate III

In the manual of STEVAL-IPM08B I read:

"The STEVAL-IPM08B is compatible with ST's STM32-based control board, enabling designers to build a complete platform for motor control."

I wonder what are these "STM32-based control board" that are compatible with the signal connector.

By the way, in the same document I read:

"Motor control connector (32 pins) interfacing with ST MCU boards"

but in the schematic that connector has 34 pins....

4 REPLIES 4
KnarfB
Principal III

There are many choices for a control board from the Nucleo and Eval serieses. You may install the ST Motor Control Workbench and when you start a new project you see dropdown lists for control and power boards.

hth

KnarfB

Well, few odd things. I'm not talking to you directly (instead I thank you a lot for your answer!) but to any ST's employer:

• as far as I understand there are not so many choices for a control board compatible with the 34-pins connector. It seems there are only two: STM3210B-EVAL and another one but both of them are obsolete. Of course I can use any other suitable dev-board making the connection wire-by-wire - which is ok - but you cannot say they are compatible with that connector.
  • the ST Motor Control Workbench seems to be available for Windows only!!! How is it possible? I don't use Windows so I cannot use this tool? I can understand if a manufacturer releases its tools for Windows only. One can just avoid it and select a different brand. But when a manufacturer (like ST) releases some tools for Linux (or other OS) and some for Windows only it's very confusing and unfair.

KnarfB
Principal III

Hi Mark81,

I don't have tested it, but there is an adapter board https://www.st.com/en/ecosystems/x-nucleo-ihm09m1.html

Dear Mark81,

we are also unhappy about windows only limitation and preparing a new tools generation to palliate to this problem. It should arrive later this year...

Thanks for your patience,

Claire