cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive from USB bulk endpoint despite Windows enumerates and libusb reads descriptor of STM32 custom device class (USB_OTG periph)

ETywo.1
Associate II

For a fast ADC sampling USB device, I am using the USB 2.0 High Speed capable STM32F733 with the embedded USB-HS PHY. In USBView, I can see that the device is enumerated, the libusb code opens the device and claims interface, but when I try to receive data with libusb_bulk_transfer, the operation times out (return code -12). Things I have tried: I have confirmed than when I request data with libusb_bulk_transfer, the device is interrupted. Note: I have DMA enabled in my class configuration C file and it is not clear to me how that is triggered. I have verified that the transfersize and packet count registers are being set correctly by the LL library function, and that when I request data from

Any tips on debugging such problems will be much appreciated - this board is my undergrad thesis due in under two months!

Desktop sequence:

libusb_get_device_list, libusb_get_device_descriptor, libusb_open, libusb_get_string_descriptor_ascii, libusb_free_device_list, libusb_bulk_transfer(devh, fat_EPIN_ADDR, inframe, fat_EPIN_SIZE, &gotBytes, 100). Where gotBytes is integer, and inframe is a large array.

Device firmware:

MX_USB_DEVICE_Init();

uint8_t txBuffer[10*fat_EPIN_SIZE];

while (1)

{

USBD_LL_Transmit(&hUsbDeviceHS, Custom_fat_EPIN_ADDR, txBuffer, Custom_fat_EPIN_SIZE);

HAL_Delay(1);

}

Custom_fat_EPIN_SIZE is 0x200 and the endpoint address is 0x81 (EP IN 1)

Installed driver for device is WinUSB (verified in Device Manger to be winusb.sys), and I am linking libusb-1.0 into my desktop program. You can find my source code at https://gitlab.com/tywonemi-school-stuff/silicon-radar-fun, the firmware is My SW/v1 and the desktop software is a Qt Creator project in My SW/Viewer, of note is usb.cpp. You can also compare with testing project/HIDTest, which is code that I tested with STM32F303 nucleo dev board where I was able to read an array through IN bulk endpoint with the Viewer application. However, F3 has the USB peripheral, while F7 has OTG_USB, and I am now attempting USB 2.0 compliant HS so there may be more protocol-based pitfalls. You can also find the output of the device descriptor etc from USBView in my SW/USBView_broken.txt

1 REPLY 1
ETywo.1
Associate II

I have fixed my issue by disabling the DMA setting. I have re-read the relevant portions of the reference manual and still don't know how exactly the values propagate into the Tx FIFOs. It is possible that DMA-less operation will be a major bottleneck in my project, I might return to this later.