cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LD1117S50 output capacitor

GKris.1
Associate

Hi, We are using LD1117S50 linear regulator for conversion of 9V DC to 5V DC. The datasheet typical application diagram in page 24 suggests to use 10uF electrolytic capacitor. Please let me know whether we can use a 10uF ceramic capacitor at output. Will there be any issues if we use a ceramic 10uF at output instead the Electrolytic one.

Thanks,

Gopi Krishnan K.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The LD1117 is a so called Quasi-LDO requiring an output capacitor with a value of at least 10µF and an ESR of >0.25 ohms, even it is not stated in the datasheet.

Ceramic capacitors providing very low ESR can be used with an artificial ESR, i.e. if you connect a resistor of e.g. 1 ohm in series.

Alternatively you could also use a tantalum cap.

Does it answer your question?

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The LD1117 is a so called Quasi-LDO requiring an output capacitor with a value of at least 10µF and an ESR of >0.25 ohms, even it is not stated in the datasheet.

Ceramic capacitors providing very low ESR can be used with an artificial ESR, i.e. if you connect a resistor of e.g. 1 ohm in series.

Alternatively you could also use a tantalum cap.

Does it answer your question?

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.