cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VL53L1X Range for Outdoor Person Detection

MPete.1
Associate

I am working on a project/proof of concept that requires measuring the distance to a person relative to the VL53L1X sensor. I did a little digging on the data sheet, and wanted to verify my findings and propose a couple questions to see if this product is the right answer.

The sensor is to be placed outdoors in a partially shaded area, pointing towards a person that is also partially shaded. Based on the product sheet, I looked at a 50 kcps/SPAD case and estimated Caucasian skin as 60-65% reluctance based on data online. Given these factors, it said I could expect between 154-166cm. Does this sound correct? I am trying to stretch the effective range for my application, and am hoping to get in the 10ft range if possible.

Along these lines, what would I be able to do to increase performance in these conditions? Would a shroud that covers the perimeter of the sensor prevent ambient light from obscuring the data? Also, the measurements would be taken parallel to water. Would reflection off of the water and into the sensor obscure this even further?

Thanks for the help!

0 REPLIES 0