cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the range status error 13 indicate for the VL53L1X sensor? Please give all triggers that initiate error 13

VBala.3
Associate II

4 REPLIES 4
John E KVAM
ST Employee

the official text is:

13: User ROI Outwith Limits

From this I can only surmise that you somehow set the ROI limits out of bounds.

Minimum ROI is a 4x4, and of course it has to fit into the 16x16 array bounds.

if you used the full driver see:

UM2326

User manual

Time-of-Flight ranging module with advanced multi-zone and

multi-object detection

If you are using the UltraLite Driver see:

UM2555

VL53L1X ultra lite driver multiple zone implementation

Both user manuals can be searched for on ST.com

The reason for the different approaches in the drivers is that I really hated the one in the main driver.

It was just too complex.

I'm not sure we made it easier in the UltraLite driver, but the code is vastly simpler.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.
VBala.3
Associate II

Hello John,

Thanks for the input.The ranging occurs with no error initially, that is, range status 0. Therefore I could conclude that my ROI is getting set. But my issue is that error 13 only arises when the following events occur :

• I shift my sensor slightly
  • There is increased sunlight being incident on the sensor

I am currently using the Ultra Lite driver.

John E KVAM
ST Employee

If you look in the code, we translated the error numbers from the hardware values to something more reasonable. (no one would tolerate a 9 as a success code.)

But error 13 was not translated. So it has to be something with the ROI.

Can you tell me if the ROI is large or small? Is it near the edge?

Despite the error 13, did you get the correct ranging error? (Sometimes these 'errors' are more of a warning and might return a reasonable answer.)

I've never seen a 13 error, so I've no experience with it.

I'll keep investigating on my end.

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on 'Accept as Solution' on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question. It helps the next guy.
VBala.3
Associate II

My code's working fine now. I guess it had something to do with the delays provided.