cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7B3 Discovery Kit - Clock/Flash Code in Cube IDE 1.3 in Incorrect - All Projects Crash

EHugh.1
Associate II

0693W000001qqOIQAY.pngI created a new project and selected the STM32H7B3 discovery kit. All default settings, no changes.

When I loaded code, it seems to crash on this line: (debugger connection is lost, etc.)

if (HAL_RCC_ClockConfig(&RCC_ClkInitStruct, FLASH_LATENCY_3) != HAL_OK

which is in

void SystemClock_Config(void)

To recreate, simply create a new project in CubeIDE 1.3 and select all the defaults the wizard gives you.

If I select the HSI in the System Clock Mux, I can debug, etc and the CPU does not crash. There is a bug the default PLL setup for this board.

Also, i checked that the HSE was actually working. I observed a clean 24MHz signal. Looks like the PLL simply isn't working correctly.

------edit-------

I found a bunch of other examples under:

STM32Cube\Repository\STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.7.0\Projects\STM32H7B3I-DK

Everyone one of them have the same bug.

Is this expected behavior for out of the box examples? Is there additional configuration required?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EHugh.1
Associate II

So, The flash latency is the problem. Al of the example and the default projects generated by CubeIDE1.3 use an incorrect value for the flash latency.

FLASH_LATENCY_7 is the correct value. Verified on the board I have. I noticed that the CubeIDE doesn't even have a option for it.

0693W000001r0SoQAI.png

0693W000001r0SPQAY.png

I'll post a link in the CubeIDE section. Maybe the developers can fix this. It is pretty difficult if you are starting fresh with the tools and the default configuration does not work.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
EHugh.1
Associate II

After some experimentation I discovered that I could make the examples in the V1.7 package work by decreasing the CPU clock to 200MHz from the default of 280MHz. I set DIVN1 to 200 and could get things working. Any value above that would cause erratic behavior.

> if (HAL_RCC_ClockConfig(&RCC_ClkInitStruct, FLASH_LATENCY_3) != HAL_OK

I don't think 3WS is valid for 280MHz sys_clk or even 200MHz.

Read the FLASH chapter in RM.

JW

EHugh.1
Associate II

So, The flash latency is the problem. Al of the example and the default projects generated by CubeIDE1.3 use an incorrect value for the flash latency.

FLASH_LATENCY_7 is the correct value. Verified on the board I have. I noticed that the CubeIDE doesn't even have a option for it.

0693W000001r0SoQAI.png

0693W000001r0SPQAY.png

I'll post a link in the CubeIDE section. Maybe the developers can fix this. It is pretty difficult if you are starting fresh with the tools and the default configuration does not work.

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @EHugh.1​ ,

By default, clock is set to 140 MHz for STM32H7B3 Discovery Kit. So FLASH_LATENCY_3 is a correct value.

If you update target frequency to a different value, Flash_Latency will be updated accordingly.

I am not able to reproduce the problem you describe, could you please share your .ioc file? I am using STM32CubeIDE 1.3.1 and STM32CubeMX 5.6.1.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

EHugh.1
Associate II

The attached project was generated with Cube IDE1.3.0. with V1.7 of the STM32H7 support package

1.3.1 is not publicly available. Please install the same version 1.3.0 and you will see the issue.

All of the examples in that version use 280Mhz Clock with a flash latency of 4. The configuration tool doesn't even let you select a flash latency greater than 4.

You will also see that all the examples under:

STM32Cube\Repository\STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.7.0\Projects\STM32H7B3I-DK

Have incorrect flash latency settings and use 280MHz, not 140MHz.

Amel NASRI
ST Employee

Hi @EHugh.1​ ,

I checked that the difference between what I was doing and your project is that I am setting the input to AXI peripheral clock to 280 MHz, so the Flash_Latency is updated correctly.

In your case, you set HPRE prescaler to /2 , which provides the value of 140 MHz as input for AXI peripheral clock.

This is correct compared to the content of the table "FLASH recommended number of wait states and programming delay" as we speak about "AXI Interface clock frequency v.s. VCORE range". But it is strange why it crashes for you.

Regarding the examples of STM32CubeH7 package: I took as example STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.7.0\Projects\STM32H7B3I-DK\Examples\ADC\ADC_DualModeInterleaved. Flash latency is set to 6 there.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hi @EHugh.1​ again,

I think that I found the root cause of the weird behavior you see.

In generated code, voltage scale is configured to VOS2: __HAL_PWR_VOLTAGESCALING_CONFIG(PWR_REGULATOR_VOLTAGE_SCALE2)

It has to be: __HAL_PWR_VOLTAGESCALING_CONFIG(PWR_REGULATOR_VOLTAGE_SCALE1).

Referring to the table "FLASH recommended number of wait states and programming delay", with 3WS, we need to use VOS1 or VOS0.

I'll report this error to our STM32CubeMX team.

-Amel

>>>In your case, you set HPRE prescaler to /2 , which provides the value of 140 MHz as input for AXI peripheral clock.

Just to be clear, In the example I sent *I* did not set anything. This was just what the Cube tool generates. The same goes for all of the examples in the H7 firmware package folder. Whatever generates those examples have bad settings.

My point was that skeleton projects from tool do not work unless modified. In the STM32H7BI Examples, I was trying examples related to the graphics controller such as LTDC_Display_2Layers and DMA2D_RegToMemWithLCD. I had to modify each one or the CPU would crash.

I can retest when there is a new release.

Whatever generates those examples have bad settings.

>> this is reported internally. Root cause is STM32CubeMX which is embedded in STM32CubeIDE.

Is it possible for you to retest updating voltage scale instead of flash latency in the generated code?

In the examples you listed:

• STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.7.0\Projects\STM32H7B3I-DK\Examples\DMA2D\DMA2D_RegToMemWithLCD: CPU_Clk = 280 MHz, AXI_Clk = 280 MHz, VOS0, 6 WS ==> OK
  • STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.7.0\Projects\STM32H7B3I-DK\Examples\LTDC\LTDC_Display_2Layers: CPU_Clk = 280 MHz, AXI_Clk = 280 MHz, VOS0, 6 WS ==> OK

I don't see a problem with these examples from configuration point of view as they are aligned with the specification (you can debug to check if really the correct values for VOS and flash_latency are set at register level).

Please note that the last line of the table "FLASH recommended number of wait states and programming delay" (7 WS case) will be removed are it is a duplicate of 6 WS line.

-Amel