cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving 5V bus transceiver with 5V tolerant pins

Davorin
Senior

Good evening (o;

I know that most GPIO pins can be driven from 5V devices...

But how about connecting a 5V bus transceiver? Is that also save?

Or better to use a level shifter in between?

Reason for asking: Project involving SN75160/161 bus transceivers for GPIB interface....

thanks in advance

richard

5 REPLIES 5
Dvorak.Peter
Senior II

Old school TTL uses 0.8V low and 2.4V high input logic levels.

It should work without level shifters.

For more detailed answer, just post exact schematic.

Davorin
Senior

Good morning (o;

No full schematic yet..but a simplified version with the chosen MCU STM32F107VCT..

0693W000001qeRPQAY.png

Davorin
Senior

Seems to work that way..though only tested so far in one direction...

At least I see commands and data coming from the GPIB bus on the Nucleo-F207 USB console (o;

CMD: 40 	MTA0
CMD: 3F 	UNLISTEN
CMD: 25 	MLA5
DAT: * 
DAT: I 
DAT: D 
DAT: N 
DAT: ? 
CMD: 3F 	UNLISTEN
CMD: 20 	MLA0
CMD: 45 	MTA5

Now I only have to find an easy and elegant way how to switch certain GPIO pins from output to input...

Or can I always read the GPIO input when it is configured as GPIO open drain output with pull up?

Dvorak.Peter
Senior II

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/group0/13/c0/f6/6c/29/3b/47/b3/DM00315319/files/DM00315319.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00315319.pdf

AN4899 Application note

STM32 GPIO configuration for hardware settings and low-power consumption

Page 17:

However, a GPIO is five-volt tolerant only in input mode.

When the output mode is enabled, the GPIO is no more five-volt tolerant. 

For more details about I/O input voltage, refer to VIN

parameters in the general operating conditions table of the datasheet.

DocID029601 Rev 1

==============================

The above guide suggests that a IO output connected to TTL output (high level) could create over-voltage problem.

A simple fix is to use Bidirectional Voltage-Level Shifter with Auto Direction Sensing

Davorin
Senior

Hmmm...so far I didn't had problems with it...though I used data bus only in receiving mode...

but the GPIB control bus is mixed....so I could read GPIB control signals as well as driving control signals....otherwise the above GPIB bus capture wouldn't have be possible...

The SN75161 device is not a straight transceiver from left to right or vice versa....

so for example I tested DAV being read from MCU and NRFD/NDAC being driven by MCU....so far the MCU survived it (o;

Guess special care must be taken at which time the GPIO direction configuration and the transceiver direction change takes place...