cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PID tuning to achieve smoothness at very low speeds

msingh
Senior

Hi,

I am using the NUCLEO-F303RE and NUCLEO-IHM08M1 to drive a maxon 48V DC motor with incremental encoder (1024 counts). I have used the motor profiler and motor control workbench, the PID values automatically generated were completely wrong and the motor would loose smoothness at speeds below 700RPM or 500 RPM. After spending months I have identified the issues and adjusted the PIDs so I can now drive the motor as slow as 45 RMP and keep a good smoothness. However the requirements of the project need the motor to run as slow as 1RPM. The drive settings I am using are below. Is there anyone that has experience with BRUSHLESS MOTORS AND/OR the NUCLEO-IHM08M1?

Thanks in advance 0693W000001qcpeQAA.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
msingh
Senior

@Community member​ , I have noticed their forum has changed layout so I'm guessing they are asking everyone if they still need help and move the question to the new layout or maybe they just trying to show "they read the questions however don't know the answer to (loool that was just a joke) ". Anyways if you are interested in getting the answer to this question I have figured it out, check the following.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000DgoV9SAJ/is-anyone-able-to-drive-a-bldc-motor-at-low-speeds-anything-below-6-rpm

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear msingh

Do you have still this problem to solve?

Best regards

Laurent Ca...

Dear Laurent,

I am still working on this project, I have achieved speeds as low as 6 RPM however I am not able to rotate any slower. I have tried using the MCBW monitor and set different speeds however any speeds requested below 6 rpm results in a blocked rotor. Recently I have been advised (from a ST community member) to try the position control instead of speed control, I have created a project however I haven't had enough time to tune the PIDs yet but I'd appreciate your feedback on this, can I achieve 1RPM as slowest speed with position control? as well as maximum speed of 6000 RPM? Is there any better option?

The requirements of the project are the followings:

1) FOC control

2) minimum speed: 1rpm

3) maximum speed: 6000 rpm.

I'd appreciate any help

Kind Regards

Manpreet Singh

What is the point of asking in all the threads whether the problem is still valid, if you are not getting back when the OP answers?

It seems to me the ST Community Forum is not very prioritized by ST. Come on, you can do better. This is your customers here needing help!!

msingh
Senior

@Community member​ , I have noticed their forum has changed layout so I'm guessing they are asking everyone if they still need help and move the question to the new layout or maybe they just trying to show "they read the questions however don't know the answer to (loool that was just a joke) ". Anyways if you are interested in getting the answer to this question I have figured it out, check the following.

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D53W00000DgoV9SAJ/is-anyone-able-to-drive-a-bldc-motor-at-low-speeds-anything-below-6-rpm

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @msingh​ 

Does the answer in th post highlighted by @Community member​ answer to your question?

Whatever, thanks @Community member​​.

Best regards

Laurent Ca...

Dear @Community member​ 

Last year, a majority of posts have been answered.

But now, we want to increase again a lot the quality service related to this forum in answering to all posts with the tag "STM32 Motor Control".

That is what I do in coordinating this activity from 2 weeks in attacking unanswered posts by the two extremities: the newest and the oldest.

Therefor, progressively all posts will have an answer (when still required).

Thank you for your help.

Best regards

Laurent Ca...

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @msingh​ 

I guess you don't have to solve this problem anymore, therefore I consider this post closed.

If not, feel free to reopen it by posting a new answer.

Best regards

Laurent Ca...