Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concept and operation of SDMMC kernel clock of STM32 H7 family

HTajb.1
Associate III

Hello everybody,

Regarding STM32 H7 family:

I am going to use SDMMC module of one chip of H7 family,by my own C code and without using any operating system(if possible) .As I ponder the manual reference of the chip,I noticed to "sdmmc_ker_ck" or "SDMMC kernel clock",which is necessary for SDMMC to work correctly.

In my opinion, "kernel" refers to the operating system.

Is it possible to use this SDMMC without considering or running any operating system on the chip or not?(I mean by writing a simple and stand alone application by C language).

Your consideration is highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kernel here is the central or most important part of something.

SDMMC doesn't need an OS

sdmmc_ker_ck is the naming of an internal clocking node/tree, it can be up to 200 MHz, and either from SYSCLK or one of the PLLs, 48 MHz, etc.

This clock can be fast and asynchronous compared to the APB clock. The APB clock controls access to the peripheral registers, the sdmmc_ker_ck (SDIO_CK or SDMMC_CK in other platforms) drives the external bus/wire clock of the SD Card interface

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Kernel here is the central or most important part of something.

SDMMC doesn't need an OS

sdmmc_ker_ck is the naming of an internal clocking node/tree, it can be up to 200 MHz, and either from SYSCLK or one of the PLLs, 48 MHz, etc.

This clock can be fast and asynchronous compared to the APB clock. The APB clock controls access to the peripheral registers, the sdmmc_ker_ck (SDIO_CK or SDMMC_CK in other platforms) drives the external bus/wire clock of the SD Card interface

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

Thank you so much clive1 for your reply.