cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect LSM303AGR Interrupt Pins, really necessary?

Gustbel
Associate

Hi.

Excuse me if this query seems very silly, I am designing a schematic and it will take the integrated LSM303AGR because I need to read accelerometer and magnetometer data by I2C.

What happens if I leave the accelerometer interrupt pins (INT_1_XL and INT_2_XL pins) and the magnetometer interrupt pin (INT_MAG / DRDY pin) without connecting to my microcontroller, or anywhere, I just leave them floating?

Will the accelerometer work normally? Will I be able to read his data without problems?

Or is it necessary to connect them all (or only some) to at least some voltage reference?

Again, excuse me if this question seems too silly.

Thank you very much for your time.

Gustavo

3 REPLIES 3
Eleon BORLINI
ST Employee

Hi @Gustbel​ , although the suggestion is always to connect these pads to the application processor to let them available for future upgrade at firmware level, since they are output pins you can leave them unconnected, if you don't need to use them. Regards

Excuse me, let's see if I understand you.

So if I design the PCB without connecting these pins then I will not be able to modify the registers of the integrated? Or did I understand wrong?

If not, I am not understanding what I could NOT do if I do not connect these pins to the microcontroller.

No, in order to modify the internal registers you (just) need to connect either the I2C pins or the SPI pins. The INT pins (1_XL, 2_XL and MAG) are used only for event detection: for examples, if you for example set a threshold on the acceleration or magnetic field value, you can detect if this threshold has been exceeded or not. Regards