cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between using X-NUCLEO-IDW01M1 and SWPF01SA

FLee.1
Associate

I'm trying to interface my STM32 board(STM32L476JGY to be specific) with a Wifi chip using UART.

At first, I looked into ESP8266, but I wasn't able to find that much resource on it. There are some Arduino libraries, but I don't really know the best way to convert those to STM32-based libaries. As far as I know, it's as easy as sending AT commands as strings over UART, but I need to send some data to a cloud database, which I don't know how to do with AT commands.

Then, I found out about X-NUCLEO-IDW01M1, which is a Wi-Fi expansion board based on SWPF01SA module for STM32 Nucleo. Because I'm not using an STM32 Nucleo, I am thinking of using just the Wifi chip, SWPF01SA. What does the X-NUCLEO-IDW01M1 have that SWPF01SA lacks? If I connect the SWPF01SA with my STM32 using UART, would I be able to use the same example code as the ones shown in here?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Elio Cometti
Senior II

Hello,

as stated in its datasheet, the UART interface pins of SPWF01Sx are 5V tolerant, anyway like others GPIOS pin they works at 2.5V level. 

In order to interface the SPWF01 with the nucleo boards, the X-NUCLEO-IDW01M1 has a level shifter on board.

If your STM32's GPIO operates at 2.5V then you can connect SPWF01 directly.

Please take care that both and SWPF01SA and X-NUCLEO-IDW01M1 are not recommended for new development

Regards,

Elio

FLee.1
Associate

Thanks for the clarification.

What do you mean by it's not "recommended for new development"?

Elio Cometti
Senior II

​development->design

NRND (not recommended for new design) means that the PTN (product termination notification) has been issued for the product