cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for help on developing "Software application for Sensor based closed loop algorithm using BLDC motor for Position control"

SMart.2
Associate II

The idea is to

1) Control position - that is to rotate the motor with a desired angle such as 5 degrees, 7 degrees, 10 deg, 13 deg, 20 deg, etc.. 

2) Control speed in rpm

But as the motor control based application is new for me, I'm not sure what control algorithm or which solution is best fit for my requirement.

I started working on implementing 6 step sequence with PWM based on 3 feedback signals of HALL effect outputs from BLDC motor, which I believe this drives the BLDC motor with no control (open loop).

Note: For this, I'm using an evaluation kit (other than STM which is already available with me), but yet to get the other hardware like motor driver card and BLDC motor.

To start with, could you please suggest a good approach to build this application:

1) Any suitable development kit with BLDC motor position control software, so that I plan to buy it and explore the BLDC software application to achieve solution for my project.

2) Request to suggest a reference (an application notes or a tutorial) to understand the construction of a closed loop control algorithm (a suitable control method) for position control of BLDC motor.

Appreciate your valuable suggestion on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sorry for making you wait Santhosh...

yes, it should work for BLDC motor and with the boards/ HW handled by the MCSDK5.4.4 (please download it and check first the control/ power/ inverter boards list) => MCSUITE tools could help also to get more information on the different boards.

There is also a specific kit also STspin based called: EVALKIT-ROBOT-1 you could also check.

Thanks and best regards,

Claire

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Claire O.
ST Employee

​Hello SMart.2,

there is an app note on Position control available:

AN5464

Position control of a three-phase permanent magnet motor using X-CUBE-MCSDK or X-CUBE-MCSDK-FUL

It should help you to use position control available with MCSDK 🙂

Claire

SMart.2
Associate II

Thank you @Claire OKU​ for your response.

The app note AN5464 specifies that X-CUBE-MCSDK includes "Permanent-magnet synchronous motor (PMSM) firmware library (FOC control) and the STM32 Motor Control Workbench (to configure the FOC firmware library parameters), with its graphical user interface (GUI)."

But I need to develop the sw for BLDC motor. Is this firmware library (FOC control) works for BLDC ? Will there be any changes to be done in firmware library (FOC control) with respect to position control of BLDC motor.

And also, you did not mentioned an STM development kit that supports my requirement of position control of BLDC motor. Could you please specify the STM development/evaluation board (precisely a hardware with STM MCU and BLDC motor driving hardware).

Thanks,

Santhosh

SMart.2
Associate II

Reminder...!!

Could you please provide your response for my query ?

Thank you,

Santhosh

Sorry for making you wait Santhosh...

yes, it should work for BLDC motor and with the boards/ HW handled by the MCSDK5.4.4 (please download it and check first the control/ power/ inverter boards list) => MCSUITE tools could help also to get more information on the different boards.

There is also a specific kit also STspin based called: EVALKIT-ROBOT-1 you could also check.

Thanks and best regards,

Claire

msingh
Senior

@SM.4artha​ Did you find a solution to your project? I think The hardware would depend on you BLDC, For example I have a Maxon 48V BLDC and I am using a NUCLEO-F303RE + NUCLEO-IHM08M1 I need to do a similar thing like yourself I would like to drive the motor at really slow speeds, for which I have been suggested to try position control. I have tried speed control but this didn't allow me to drive the motor below 6RPM. I will now try using position control and maybe It will work? Have you achieve anything this far? Maybe we could work together on this project.

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @SM.4artha​ 

Did the @Claire OKU​ 's answers or the @msingh​ 's answer solve your problem?

Best regards

Laurent Ca...

Laurent Ca...
Lead II

Dear @SM.4artha​ 

As you do not answer, I guess you don't have to solve this problem anymore, therefore I consider this thread closed.

If not, feel free to reopen it by posting a new answer.

Best regards

Laurent Ca...