cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedded Systems Newbie Proprietary Questions?

Baze
Associate II

Hey guys I'm a newbie in this space I'm primarily a iOS/Android Mobile Developer and Web Developer though I do have a background in EE. Couple of Questions?

It states that the STM32CubeProgrammer app can be integrated with other software how does this work do we embed CLI into our proprietary app and talk via CLI, or is there an api to do so?

Does it have to be licensed? I mean if I embed this api/cli/cube into our program are there rules around doing that?

We would want to allow the user to program our stm32 chip through our software but with our tool only over usb? Is it possible to ensure that we are the only ones that can flash(via usb) that stm32 or is that not possible. Is possible to add security on a software level, or a hardware level, maybe a security chip? Not sure how it's accomplished.

Another question how do folks selling this chip embedded in proprietary hardware usually initially flash their chip, we plan on selling hundreds of these to our clients initially configured. The costs are substantial to do on the assembly line? Is there a standard in doing this?

Finally if the possible is not above? Are there recommendations for other mcu/mpu that can achieve this. Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

You can block casual access to the internal Flash, your own loader then becomes the primary mode of access/update. Most things can be broken with adequate equipment, skills, time and money.

Typically I program blank device in production test. Costs there tend to be a factor of what you can do yourself vs buy, and then the cost per station, and scalability of your approach.

You could send programmed IC's to your board house, distributors used to provide this as a service.

See also

https://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/x-cube-sbsfu.html

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..